If only I had [insert name of gear here] I'd be a much better pilot

If only I had [listened better at school and got a decent job without shift work or weekends] I’d be a much better pilot

3 Likes

You want to get IRC Tramp or SmartAudio set up (whichever your VTX uses)… then you can tinker in the OSD.

Also, which VTX is it you’re using… I have some completely rubbish ones.

Finally… those antennas. On my EV800Ds I was running two foxeer omnis at slightly different angles. This I think was a BAD IDEA. What I was getting was the diversity switching between the antennas a lot as they had about the same signal level. Each time it switches you get disruption in the signal.

On my new goggles I’ve gone to the classic patch and onmi setup and the patch has much better signal most of the time. So I don’t think I’m getting as many switches. Plus I suppose I am using RapidMix so there are cleaner switches anyway.

1 Like

My video from cooling towers to my new goggles… I’m really pleased how clean it is.

2 Likes

I use the Skyzone 04X goggles but they have the same “Readymix/Steadyview” receiver you have in your CobraX headset. Earlier versions of the receiver firmware were, for some, problematic when using the Mix Mode. I’m currently using V2.3 receiver firmware and I have a solid image in the area I fly.

If using MIX mode the best antenna configuration is to use two identical antennas at 90 degrees to one another (one straight up and the other off to the side). Diversity mode is best used with the conventional Omni and Patch config.

No VTX or antenna provides equal performance across the entire frequency range. Add to that that in reality the components we use are not exactly what you would call high quality or high specification. The available bandwidth available is quite large, and no antenna or bandpass filter will be equally efficient across this range. In commercial systems the inputs to receivers and the outputs of transmitters will have a number of highly tuned bandpass filters optimally tuned to specific ranges within the total spectrum range. Our VTX’s only have one bandpass filter so will act more like an attenuator at its limits.

Antennas have to comply with the unmovable laws of physics. You can have an antenna that covers a broad bandwidth but it will be inefficient, there’s just no way round it. Conversely you can have a very efficient antenna but the quoted efficiency will only be on a narrow bandwidth. VSWR is not a way to measure antenna efficiency, this is determined by the capacitive and inductive reactance’s which could measure zero (resonance) on a different frequency to that where the VSWR is measured as 1:1.

The power meters manufactured by ImmersionRC are not what I’d call lab quality but they are more than adequate for hobby use, and I consider the one I use to be invaluable, but I do use it for some geeky off label applications also. With this I can measure on what channels I can see the maximum power of the video transmitter. Unfortunately even a rudimentary vector network analyser for 5GHz is a bit out of my pay grade so I rely on the honesty of the antenna manufacturer.

Without access to a power meter I’d recommend experimenting flying the same route on different bands/channels and seeing if your signal improves. This will actually determine the optimum performance of both the VTX and chosen antenna.

3 Likes

They’re all stock for the respective quads: Succex Force on the Naz, and whatever came with the GEPRC and Darwin.

This makes sense. I knew I’d end up looking at some kit somewhere along the line. :rofl:

I think the Cobra does their own version of mixing the signals (“Steady View”)

2 Likes

Oh another thing… I had a little stubby Foxeer RHCP antenna on one of my quads. This was awful in a bando and the signal went almost immediately I went around a corner.

I switched to a much longer antenna that sticks up well above the battery and the signal has been great. Though I’ve not been back to that bando yet.

1 Like

Yeah, actually the same as in my goggles… They’re the EV300O, almost the same as the Skyzone 04X that @Nidge says he has.

1 Like

Yes, since I mashed the one on the Naz, I have ordered a slightly longer replacement.

2 Likes

Forgot to say awesome soundtrack to your video Jez, off of one of my favourite albums Music for the Jilted Generation :star_struck: Oh how I miss the mid to late 90s :pensive: lol

2 Likes

Honestly, I just searched Spotify for “speedway” and that was the best of the bunch. :grin:

My Prodigy collection :point_up_2:t2:

I also concur that it was an awesome track :grin:

R.I.P Keith Flint! :cry:

2 Likes

I missed most of it too, proper times.

1 Like

Damn man that’s a huge collection :star_struck:

Absolutely, never got to see them live which I massively regret :sob:

It’s strange that the Nazgul has given you issues on the VTX as the standard one is very capable.
I’m flying pretty much a standard nazgul here apart from the addition of my GPS Tricks Flips & Rolls - YouTube

I will say that the footage on my DVR always looks worse than it actually looks in my goggles. Add in youtube to make it look even worse.

What was it like out of the box? most of my VTX issues on quads have been caused by crashes and subsequent repairs. Especially in the early days when my soldering was a little suspect.
I’d change the channel, up the output to max and see if that changes things for you.

If not I’d consider revisiting the drone and looking for loose joints and connections.

2 Likes

luckily not many photographs from back then. Those that did looked a little something like this
the-bounce-the-ounce-guy-has-a-youtube-channel-and-it-turns-out-hes-sick-at-shuffling-body-image-1446820742

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

And who might that be :wink:

some bloke having a good time mate :sunglasses:

2 Likes