Iford Playing Fields - Added to Everything Else in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

This is in a Class D air space as its not so far from Bournemouth Airport, about 4 miles as the crow flies.
I guess the ground is owned by the council and I'm not sure if they allow it.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 30/07/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

I have flown at Iford Fields a few times and found it a really good area. It is a large open space with very few attractions for children other than a BMX track well away from the main field area.
There is nothing posted at the site to say drones are not allowed and I met some RC model aircraft people there who told me they had used it for several years. Interestingly they seemed totally unaware of any registration requirements.
The BCP Council web site only refers people to the Drone Code, the Dronesafe web site and it contains the basic rules plus a message “Enjoy Responsibly”.
Not a definitive yes they do allow it but there is nothing I can find to say they do not.

Yea I agree, I haven’t seen anything either, and never had any issues with anyone. If the playing fields are busy you can go under the railway to the land between the railway and the river, which is actually where the pano shot above was centred. It is more rough ground and have only seen people walking, and often with dogs. I think you can fly there while following the Drone Code. As above “Enjoy Responsibly”.

I am not so sure about the land under the railway bridge. I don’t think I can post links but at you can probably get there from this:
Bournemouth.gov.uk/Parks/ThingsToDo/flyingmodelaircraft-and-drones - you can find some useful information from BCP. This includes a statement that effectively says you can’t fly in local nature reserves.
The area in question is known as “Iford Meadows Local Nature Reserve” and is managed by the Bournemouth Council (now BCP).
If you investigate all the BCP Rules it can become quite confusing. As an example if you get a license for Slades Farm they ask you to sign to say you will follow the Bye Laws. They were written in 1999 and are impossible to comply with. I have pointed tis out to the Council a year ago. They said they would be updated but they have not changed.
The link seems to have come up OK.

The link didn’t work for me so just went to their homepage and searched drones and pretty sure I landed on the same page. This is wheree I ended up

https://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Parks/ThingstoDo/flyingmodelaircraft-and-drones.aspx

Only thing different is the .aspx at the end.