Insurance Question

I have been insured with FPV for 2 years now, but recently due to PfCO have got insurance through Flyicarus which covers me for Commercial And Hobbyist to £1M question is; can I continue with FPV with £5M liability as I have read that is a requirement in Guernsey or should I up my liability with Flyicarus, which probably will cost more than FPV, any help or advise would be appreciated

I thought if you were a member of FPVUK that your Insurance with Flyicarus was cheaper anyway?, because you are a Member, correct me ,if i’m wrong.

If you will be flying in Guernsey as a hobbyist, then keep the FPVUK policy running.
But if you are intending to undertake any commercial work you will need to increase the FlyIcarus Public Liability.
I think FlyIcarus will allow you to increase the PL for a short period as well.

Hi yes that’s true, but only covered to £1M on the Hobbyist side as well as Commercial
And thanks for the info@mickydd depends on cost either way

It all depends on whether you intend to operate commercially in Guernsey.

As it stands with your flyicarus policy you would not be able to fly at all.

It’s generally not a good idea to have multiple policies that insure the same risk. In the event of a claim it can get drawn out and complicated as both the companies fight over what their liability and contribution should be.

If you’ve no intention of flying commercially on a regular basis It might be worth sticking with the £5M FPVUK hobbyist insurance and take out commercial as and when required.

2 Likes

Hi thanks @callum I have already taken an annual policy out and paid as the commercial element was only £130 more than Hobbyist so stuck with that for a year, but will be by flight thereafter as and when needed and stay with FPV all advice appreciated thank you

1 Like

If you have FPV UK membership (including £5m public liability cover), you can buy Fly Icarus hobbyist insurance to cover your drone for accidental damage/ flyaway/ bird attack, etc. at a discounted rate.

FlyIcarus commercial PfCO insurance is a different thing though, and that’s what the OP is asking about I think.

2 Likes

@FPVUK Hi I have Commercial PfCO Insurance with Flyicarus annual policy which covers Hobbyist, my FPV runs out 2/8 during my trip, can I just renew that is that possible or just increase with Flyicarus?

Your FPV UK membership will automatically renew when it comes to an end. There is no need to do anything and the membership continues uninterrupted.

I hope that covers it.

2 Likes

Many thanks@FPV so I’m ok for Guernsey :+1:

Yes.

• Geographical Limits: Permanent residents of the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man will be covered anywhere in the UK or Europe. Non UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man permanent residents are covered anywhere in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
3 Likes

Thank you @FPVUK

This has actually been updated (to explicitly mention Switzerland and Norway):

Geographical Limits: Permanent residents of the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man will be covered anywhere in the UK or Europe (including Switzerland and Norway). Non UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man permanent residents are covered anywhere in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Why do Norway and Switzerland need special mention?

1 Like

Because they’re not in the EU.

But you don’t mention the EU. You only mention Europe.

So which do you really mean? There is a significant difference!

Because all the following countries are most certainly IN Europe, but not in the EU.

• Albania
  • Andorra
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Georgia
  • Iceland
  • Kosovo
  • Liechtenstein
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • North Macedonia
  • Russia
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • Vatican City
3 Likes

This is the wording on the policy document from the insurer.

I will, however, take your point and amend it on our website and notify the insurance company that I have done so.

It will therefore now read:

Geographical Limits: Permanent residents of the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man will be covered anywhere in the UK or EU (including Switzerland and Norway). Non UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man permanent residents are covered anywhere in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

So - at the swipe of a pen - you remove at least two frequently visited countries from the cover people thought they had. Iceland and Turkey.

Likewise, but even more bizarrely, San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein and Monaco are no longer included.

(Vatican City too … but I’d imagine there are other reasons fly there are pretty damned difficult.)

It goes without saying that you disagree; but ‘Europe’ seems to be commonly used to mean the European Union particularly in the context of insurance cover (rather than geographical Europe).

That is certainly the case in the policy documents of the insurance policy that we purchase to cover our members.

In the eleven years that we have had this insurance policy (and its wording) I have had a handful of queries from members asking if certain countries were included (most often Thailand, sometimes countries within geographical Europe and elsewhere) and I have answered those appropriately.

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia (formerly Czech Republic), Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland are all covered. In addition to the UK.

And the justification for including Switzerland and Norway, but not including San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein and Monaco, which are all surrounded (landward) by EU countries?