Is an expensive Pixhawk any better than a cheap one?

Maybe a silly question.

But - on eBay there are Pixhawk controllers ranging from forty quid from China to UK and USA sources at over 200. As the Pixhawk is open source anyone can make it, within reason. All seem to be the same spec so is it just manufacturing costs and profits that cause the difference or is there something fundamental I’m missing?

1 Like

I have two Pixhawk 1 controllers, one being an original 3DR and the other a cheap 2.4.8 I bought off Amazon for £49. From an operational standpoint I’ve not noticed any difference between the two.

Where the cheaper ones sometimes fall down is with the 5Volt and 3.3Volt regulators as they have no electro-static protection. Another thing to look out for are older versions that only have 1MB of onboard memory as they are incapable of loading newer firmware builds due to the lack of space.

I suppose it’s down to how much you have invested in the frame, electronics, and camera (if carrying one). I bought the cheap Amazon one to put in a S500 frame and the electronics were what I had surplus in my bits box. If you’re intending to fly something you value I’d go with a Holybro controller as these appear to have a very good reputation.

Nidge.

1 Like

Built quality ?
Any testing before they leave the factory?
After sales service?

I think it’s just the same as all cheap stuff from China, it’s a bit of a lottery
I’d want my craft to have something pretty solid and reputable, my last one was a Cube Orange, I’d agree with @Nidge that the Holybro Durandal has good reputation and would probably be my next buy

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Steviegeek, @Nidge - Thanks guys. I’m thinking of removing a DJI A2 controller and selling it, making more money than the cost of a replacement Pixhawk.

Accusations that could sometimes be levelled at certain UAV manufacturers too … :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your funds will run to it I would go with, as previously mentioned by @Steviegeek, a Pixhawk Cube version. These are very advanced, note not complicated, and of a high quality of construction. All the IMU’s and Gyro’s are internally soft mounted, no need for special mounting, and as you go up the range greater degrees of redundancy are built in. Ian of Mad Tech’s Reviews on YouTube is currently doing a build series around the Cube where I’m sure he’ll impart more knowledge than I can.

Nidge.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice gentlemen! :slight_smile:

Looks like I’ll have to start saving …

Good things come to those who wait :smile:

I’ve been a waiter. That wasn’t my experience ! :frowning:

1 Like