Is Sutton Park (Birmingham) a club member only flying space

Hi all… I’m new to the GADC… pleased to find this place.

New to my DJI Mini 2 as well.

Sutton Park (Birmingham UK) is local to me but I’m confused over my research. Some say you can only fly there if you are a member of the Sutton park flying club.

I don’t want to get into trouble or upset anyone so i’d like to know first. I remember as a kid seeing model aircraft being flown in a certain area there. but times and authorisations change.

Anyone with recent experience? Thanks

1 Like

Hi from Oswestry.

1 Like

www.whatdotheyknow.com

1 Like

Slightly better link… Simon Hawkins - Freedom of Information requests - WhatDoTheyKnow

1 Like

And even better: Model Aircraft in parks Drones and Radio Controlled flying Policy doc draft V2 2019.pdf ncie flow chart they have there too!

1 Like

Welcome from the Black Country. Yes it is, sorry!

Thanks Hotrodspike!

Black Country… Salt of the Earth!

just clarifying… Yes it is… Sorry… Club member only for the whole of the Park!? Are you/were you, a member then?

Just need to get this right. Thanks

1 Like

Alright mar mate, ow am ya?

Reading the B’ham City council rules, only members of a recognised cub are allowed to fly in Sutton Park, (they don’t like drones or helicopters) and you’re not allowed to fly RC in any parks at all…BUT, as I’ve read it, you can fly Free Flight craft!
Let me see, what’s the most dangerous, totally un-controlled lumps flying about, or something that’s under control at all times and will stop dead if the sticks are let go? Somebody obviously hasn’t done their homework have they?
I’m in Walsall so only 15 minutes away from Sutton Park, but not allowed to fly 'cos I’m not in their “club”! I use the Arboretum extension in Walsall, nobody bothers you and there’s “no policy against UAVs” at all, bonus!
To quote Groucho Marx “I wouldn’t want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member”!

John

Am alright ta… boss says am yampy buyin’ a drone… LOL

I haven’t been to the Arboretum since i was a kid… the illuminations. nice memories… I’m only a junction away… I’ll have to Google ‘arboretum extension’

I’ll have to keep that in mind esp if the locals are not ‘anti’. I’m guessing it will be pretty busy there for some time though?

it’ll be bostin…

2 Likes

No mate, you get the dog walkers, but they don’t bother you. There’s a group that come and sit and watch, and ask questions, but no problems off any body.
The entrance to the spot I use is off the Sutton road, not the one on the Broadway. There’s a car park that gets pretty busy at times, but there’s normally room.
If you want to go over there some time let me know and I’ll come over with you, I normally stop over there for about an hour and half and get through a few batteries (depending on the drone I’ve got with me (normally take a couple over there).
Let me know and I’ll see you over there.
Tara a bit

John
PS, Tell your gaffer he’s a knob ed!

I fly in Sutton park all the time at various locations without any problems.
I am not a member of the flying club and have never been challenged or had any issues while using my drone anywhere in the park.
As far as I’m concerned it’s a public space and as long as I adhere to the drone code I am ok to fly.

1 Like

that’s interesting!

so many angles on this…

I’m sure there is a middle ground.

Thanks John

kind offer … might take you up on that some time :+1:

Hi all, first post. I have been confused on this subject too. I did a bit of research and the only thing I read was from a website dated 2012 sayinga guy had to be a member. So I ignored that. Drones/quadcopters weren’t so much a thing back then.

Anyway, I have temporarily moved back to birmingham and only recently got into FPV, so figured this would be an ideal place to go and learn not to crash/crash like I intended to. I have been maybe 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks and never seen anyone flying anything. When the sun was out it was full of student types with WKDs, early hours I made friends with about 60 dogs. and met a real pleasant dog walker who also flies there, who said they usually meet up every Friday evening, so I am just charging my batteries and will head out shortly.

As with anything where I’m not breaking any laws and I’ve done ~15 minutes research, I just plead ignorance. If I get told I need to be a member then completely fine, but RC appears to be quite a welcoming community so I don’t see any problems. I will report back.

2 Likes

ALL of Birmingham City Councils Parks have a no drone policy.

Model Aircraft in parks Drones and Radio Controlled flying Policy doc V2 2019.pdf (422.7 KB)

All mine are exempt then. Mine are obviously less than 0 grams. How else would they float in the sky? Silly!

Just got here. Everyone’s packing down. Think they started at 1. Seems like mainly retired gents. Friendly enough.

Even after reading the “regulations” I am still going to walk the pleading ignorance line. Something being not permitted isn’t the same as being illegal. I am not breaking any laws and the police can only get involved if the council asks them too. It’s much the same as trespassing if I’m not mistaken. I’m not intentionally breaking the law but I am doing something I don’t have someone’s permission to do. The only way this can become a problem is if they themselves ask me to stop and I don’t.

I am all for playing by the rules but I am also up for bending them every now and again.

1 Like

I was wondering how you were getting on in Sutton Park. I am a complete beginner and this is my closest open space and the obvious place to get to grips with my drone.
Thanks

Hi…

I haven’t actually tried flying it there personally… because:

some have commented that no one is policing anyone whilst others do say you need to be a member of the local Sutton Club. made me feel uncomfortable attempting it.

Ironically though with summer release from lockdown and not many getting away from UK, places like the park always seem full. Not the kind of atmosphere I would like to fly in anyway… even with an under 250g drone. Someone here mentioned Walsall arboretum with seemingly no one caring… Might suit you too?

No byelaws or anti-drone policy in Walsall, I was on the Arboretum Extension this afternoon, no problems at all. You get the odd dog walker going straight across in front of you, but never had any trouble yet. If you’ve got Article 16 authorisation you’re even better off.