Is the drone ban going to stop or get worse

What do you think? It seems local councils cant trust pilots to think safe and follow the drone code. So bans on their land are being applied.

Rather than try to regulate it or something, it’s just easier for them to apply a blanket ban - simple as that mate.

( sadly :cry: )

Very true. Even at CAA level, unfortunately.

I genuinely believe/fear that with the increasing numbers of drones …
(a) something bad will probably happen somewhere in the UK , and
(b) as a result, or in anticipation, I can foresee a blanket ban by the CAA
How soon, I don’t know … but I think it’s inevitable, eventually.

In that respect, it’s moderately comforting that info in the discussion about imminent minor changes in legislation (Update on changes to UK Regulations) would suggest that such a ban isn’t too soon.

The potential, however, will make me hesitate before upgrading to an MP2, when they become available … should £££ not prevent that in any case. LOL!

As in, someone dies you mean?

I can’t help thinking it’ll only take a drone to hit a car on a motorway, or for a drone to fall out of the sky and hit a pedestrian. I mean, lets face it, you’re not going to survive a 1KG lump of plastic and metal hitting you on the head after it’s fallen from a few hundred feet up :frowning_face:

A which point:

Yes, without doubt, they’ll apply that in an instant. And they’ll probably leave it in place for a year or so while they work out what to do…

Basically … or serious injury.

And then decide …

1 Like

Ha!

Yeah - I’ve proven my own point :smiley:

Well, let’s hope not! But yes, you know what I mean :+1:

1 Like

bit like Brexit it will be discussed for years…

Better get out with the drone now and enjoy it then…

1 Like

When some random nutcase walked into a Primary School with a gun and shot fifteen children, did they ban guns?

When it happened again, did they ban them?

The odd drone accident will probably tighten the rules of where we fly and possibly instigate a licensing rule, but this is the United Kingdom it would probably take 26 years to go through Parliament if it ever got there at all.

Is it not the cheap drones with no obstacle avoidance and flown by someone with no experience and taking a childs eye out the sort of incident which gives Drones a negative public reaction.

I see the biggest threat to our hobby being terrorists, because when they’re used as a tool to deliberately cause mass murder, then we’ll all have to find a new hobby.

1 Like

I think a big part of the problem right now is that nobody is speaking for the drone industry and/or the recreational flyers - i.e. us. All the drone incident reports I seen are heavily negative against drones and thusly are establishing a mentality of fear in the general public’s mind. The media covering these incidents aren’t deliberately anti-drone, in my opinion, they simply don’t know where to go to get the alternative point of view from drone users.

A cohesive, organised campaign that gets the true facts out the public would do a lot to redress the balance.

1 Like

Newspaper reports of potentially fatal ( gasp ) near misses between drones and aircraft / helicopters
are becoming increasingly frequent.

Examples…

But are they ?
The public don’t get the truth from the actual pilots of said aircraft.

We are repeatedly fed scaremongering “newspaper” reports from the local Daily Moron about a small drone
" Endangering pilot’s lives " when they are flying a 13 Ton Chinook.

The downwash would splat a drone out of the sky long before it even got near the rotors.

These reports are government sponsored bollux especially designed to supply future
“concrete evidence”
in support of draconian new laws that are soon coming to stamp out drones altogether
from the public’s use.
However, the police will have rapidly increasing use of them.

Perhaps a GADC Press Office?

Even if we just started monitoring for some of the ludicrous stories in the press and fired off a message refuting such scare stories, adding “if you want the truth and a sense of realism, speak to us”. If there’s one thing my communications with the NT made clear it’s that they really are almost totally ignorant about drones - which is understandable, new technology etc etc. Could we do this largely automatically with a bot? Could we have a press information section of the site?

Obviously must of us have to go to work, have limited time, other things to do, family commitments, other hobbies etc etc. But, that BBC story about archeological sites becoming more visible due to the dry weather - an email back, co-ordinated with emails to BBC local stations (who are always desperate for a story) volunteering pilot’s time to fly over known local sites to help archaeologists see what’s happening could gain some positive news.

That’s probably running before we can walk, but could we find a balance of time and effort to present a positive side to drones, whilst minimising commitment?

1 Like

North Somerset county council have allready banned the use of drones on their land. You can apply for permission to fly when you produce insurance up to 5 million public liability and a certificate of competency possibly a pfco license.found this out a few months ago when I put up on the beach at uphill in the wind sport area to take pics of some friends running blow carts.

Cheery bunch you lot are this morning :joy:

1 Like

One can be cheerfully realistic. :+1:

2 Likes

I read half of the thread and felt like throwing myself and the drones off a tall building lol.

2 Likes

Just make sure it’s YOU that lands on an unsuspecting member of the public, and not the drones! We must avoid bad publicity at all cost! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Sorry I asked the question because Bradford Council have just banned drones from their land. which includes wide expanses of rarely visited spaces o the moors. I suppose its like the dog poo ban a few people fail to think and therefore brushstroke actions are taken. I found this out after I bought my drone the other day ;-(

I was involved in a workshop on the future usage of drones the other day. My observation was that the public are more scared of drones being used by the state and huge corporations…quite often linked to films they had seen!

1 Like

I think this is the beginning of a trend, unfortunately. The ever thickening end of the wedge.

I think the bans are more an “It’s easier/cheaper to ban than to design/operate/police a permissive policy.”
Have had the same issues with councils in my more active paragliding days.

We may all be forced to use the strip of land between high and low water … it belongs to the crown and there was a post, recently, with a link that categorically permitted drones.

I’ve already lost hobbies due to knee jerk reactions, I was hoping to get a few more years before someone with no experience of enjoying using drones decides it’s too anti social.

3 Likes