It often pays to just ask

If they’d asked you to film for free for the privilege of being allowed onto their grounds then I can understand the you-should-charge argument. They didn’t. You asked them if you could film, they said yes and BTW, can we have a few clips. They’re not bribing you.

Have a great day in what should be fantastic weather.

3 Likes

Hit the nail on the head @Crackerjack If they’d asked my I’d have told them I charge the same hourly rate as I do for the graphic design work I do and happily watch them walk away. I know when someone wants something for nothing or on the cheap.

On a side note. I had contact today with the owners and they’re having major renovation work on a huge barn and stable complex on the estate and they’ve invited me back in the summer to film that too if I want.

3 Likes

That’s sounds like they need a quote :wink:

1 Like

That depends on what they expect from this first visit. I can only gauge if I’m being played once I’m done on Sunday. I don’t think I am but…

1 Like

You lucky …post some shots here as well :+1::wink:

@ZCS how many shots do you want. They are £25 for the first one and £20 a shot thereafter … :wink: lolz

1 Like

RAW …? :+1::crazy_face:

Me too, though I do early morning before opening and usually catch some great sunrises.

1 Like

I was till recently a professional photographer and i get you point. Everyone has a camera in their phone now and a decent entry level camera in good hands can get very good quality. Also you do get people to freebies for their relatives (brides or even companies) However most brides and companies want surety, consistency etc and so the work is still there for the Pros

However in this case the OP is not in competition with others… h is not ‘in the business’ to put other barbers out of sales. He is getting something out of it that he did not think possible. the place to himself!!!

Anyone who does go from this to commercial usually goes through the cheap pricing routine, to get the work and then finds that after discovering the true costs… he is making very little money! Insurance, replacing parts etc etc I don’t see the op doing this here.

my 2 cents

1 Like

I will comment on this part regarding benefits from the owners by using your footage/stills. This would not happen if it were straight photogrpahy and a camera or even video camera… BUT from a drone you are into flight and air space criteria which is the CAA’s jurisdiction I’d check this out… if you give them something to put up on their site (even if not paying you) they are still deemed to get something out of it (benefitting) purely by putting up there. This then becomes a matter between YOU and the CAA and you may need a licence for that (£250 per year if i recall) yes… even if YOU give it away.
Doesn’t seem fair but it is worth checking it out.

Nope. The CAA makes no distinction between recreational and commercial anymore with the exception of a requirement to be insured and as this flight isn’t started with a commercial intent you don’t even need the insurance

1 Like

This isn’t what i have been reading lately… :expressionless: The drone police will look out for infringements

I’d be surprised if the venue didn’t require insurance though

I’m willing to be proved (and hope) wrong on the CAA licensing though… LOL

“CAP2005: Drone Rules: USING A DRONE FOR WORK” http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9950

2 Likes

Although I don’t need it I have £5m recreational public liability insurance through FPV which is all they asked to see because I told them I have it in my initial email to them.

The headline on that is

The rules are based on the risk of the flight; where you fly, proximity
to other people and the size and weight of your drone are key. There
> will no longer be a distinction between flying commercially and flying
> for pleasure or recreation. This means that an approval just to operate
commercially is no longer required

That’s good news!

most of what i had read warned me off for helping someone out even if the friend/company, who used the footage, never earned anything from displaying it.

Thanks for the reference

The only caveat is that you must have correct commercial insurance, public liability is not enough. This can be bought by the hour via Flock.

If your flight intention was ‘helping a company’ out it would be most likely be classed as commercial