John near Fleetwood

Hi, I’m John. I’ve been flying my DJI Phantom 3 pro on and off for a few years. I’ve registered both the drone and as an operator. Aside from not flying due to lockgown restrictions (flying drones is as much exercise as fishing. I.e. not), I’m trying to work out where a3 areas are? The beach and prom areas are excluded, along with parks etc. Any suggestions?

I’m thinking the A2 CoC is a wase of money. It will only last until end 2022, and won’t start until after lockdown. What is your view?

I think I’ll either find an a3 area which will last forever, or in 2023 invest ££££ in a new sub 250g drone.

Hi John and welcome from Wigan!

The one, and only, Drone Scene:

You’ll find mixed reactions here on this subject, it’s almost 50/50 for those in favour / against :thinking:

Try a few searches, there are many threads discussing A2 C of C.

Hi John.

A3 is basically open countryside. The a2CofC qualification will allow you to fly a sub 2kg drone in a2 area and a sub 500g drone in areas after 2022 as well as before. The qualification does not become obsolete, its the drones that do.

With the sub 250g drones they don’t become legacy as such so they can be bought now without future restriction pending.

:slight_smile:

Hi and welcome John. I am just down the coast in Liverpool.

On the subject of the sub category’s I am yet to pay it any serious attention as I rarely fly anywhere other than the countryside away from people and places.

I am a little concerned about my inspire in years to come. At 3kg+ am I still going to be able to fly it away from towns and city’s ?

1 Like

At this point in time, you would fly your Inspire in A3 class which is 50 m from people and 150 m from residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas and there is no end date.
You could also fly it with even less restriction under Article 16 by joining a flying club - have a look at this thread for further “reading” — FPVUK - UAS Implementing Regulation Article 16 Operational Authorisation :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I probably should do some form of training :man_shrugging::joy:

1 Like

Or join FPVUK or BMFC and fly under the CAA Article 16 waiver…
https://fpvuk.org/caa-article-16-operational-authorisation-uas-7068/

@Johnhath Welcome John, I am in Blackpool.