Just Lost my first Drone!

Well, the day had to come.

Today I went out with my Mavic 2 Zoom and after several flights lost signal, then connectivity and then it was gone. I drove around trying to get closer to the location where “find my drone” told me it was, but all without any luck. After 15 minutes of walking around trying to find it I had to concede defeat.

I was annoyed and upset, it’s the first time this had happened and flying conditions were really good. I had even managed a couple of earlier flights, one of which was almost identical to the one that just went wrong. Something unexpected happened and I guess that’s the risk we take.

While I was pissed, I knew that earlier at the start of the year I took out insurance with Moonrock Insurance on this very drone. So I dug out my policy details and called the number on my policy portal login.

I got a representative who almost immediately put me on hold and, when she came back, informed me that the number I had called was for “emergencies only” and that “because of the Bank Holiday” I should “call back on Tuesday”. Where I live and work we don’t adhere to that bank holiday and next week I am off on my 5 day motorbike ride so will not be in a position to report this claim.

When I took out this insurance I had questions and sent them to the info@ address. I got a good response from this and it was quite timely. Personally I consider waiting over a week to report a claim to be too long, so I put all the details of the incident/loss in an email to that address so there was a formal note somewhere at Moonrock that I had reported the claim to them on the date the loss occurred.

They do not make the Mavic 2 Zoom any more so it’s going to be interesting to see the response I get back.

Not a good day and I’m quite grumpy that all the video (and photos) I took was lost with the drone.

3 Likes

Any airdata log to share, you never know ?

Just share the the last flight from Airdata

2 Likes

You gave up too easily - @Clinkadink spent days looking for his Mini 2 before giving up !

5 Likes

Click share (top right) and paste the link (if you don’t mind), maybe the group can help why it went bye byes

2 Likes

Not done this before (the share) so am cautious about sharing things I might not want to. I have turned off some of the options, let me know if you would rather see that stuff.

1 Like

Unfortunately it was all governed by the terrain and access to the likely termination point.

1 Like

Quite understandable, nothing to be gained from the bits you have shared unfortunaley.

Be interesting to see if Moonrock ask for flight logs, keep us posted

We all mourn your loss

3 Likes

I have no problem with letting them have whatever they want, as the policy covers me for this sort of thing, I just wish my first experience of trying to register a claim had been a darned sight more positive. It would definitely put me off recommending them to others because this is the point at which you want to feel like they are going to make it right and that you are dealing with professionals.

That’s not what I am getting thus far :angry:

3 Likes

It would be more beneficial to share the data, we all share ours on here

we might be able to shine more light on the issue the drone had and maybe pinpoint the last location

3 Likes

An update on the Moonrock Insurance situation.

I was contacted by Simon Ritterband of Moonrock a short while ago who directed me to their website and then the “Property Claim Form” at underwriter Hiscox. The form is a pdf that you need to download, fill in and the email to their property claims department. The form is very generic and seems to be aimed at household property owners. It has nothing in the slightest to suggest drone insurance.

Will update as I get more. But they seem to be simply offering to repay the purchase value which means I will not be able to get a like for like replacement as they don’t make this any more.

Although it’s not a brand new one, itstor on ebay sell the refurbed ones.

eBay item number: 192720325776

Mine was from them, just like new.

1 Like

Hey, thanks very much for this pointer - much appreciated.

Gutted to hear you’ve lost your drone.

Concede defeat for today and continue searching tomorrow?

I would definitely recommend spending more time looking for it. 15 minutes is nothing - especially considering the drone value. I lost a well oiled Mini 2, worth a lot less than a M2Z, but still spent 8 days searching for it, totalling 25km of walking and 25GB of ground survey images - not including Dave’s @OzoneVibe effort … or our injuries :wink:

The shared Airdata does not have any of the information that we need to assist. Please just share everything - as Wayne @Sparkyws has already suggested. We can then try and help you :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

AND muddy boots! :+1:

:rofl:

There can’t be much mud about atm.

In case you have conceded defeat, there is a M2Z on ebay for £450, only 11 flights on it, drone only.

Hi sorry for your loss we did similar, posted on here & local Facebook page, very lucky somone we know spotted a post on another local page got it back the next day the lady who found it in her garden even dropped it off at our house. We reimbursed her for her kindness & going out of her way, she did not want to accept but we insisted. We were just so happy to get it back. There are still some very nice people around. Good luck. Jon&Denise :man_mage::owl:

2 Likes

I know it just sounds lazy, but the drone went missing in a densely packed forest that is currently undergoing a huge logging operation. The likelihood of getting in there and not being asked to leave is slim. There are some very large machines moving about in there that are churning up the soil.

It is most likely that I will look for a refurb or low flight replacement as I have all this kit for a M2Z (batteries etc) that won’t fit anything else. I still have to wait for some kind of feedback from the insurance company, but it may be that I look for a refurbed M2P as an alternative. Better sensor and the batteries will fit. It’s early days and I’m not confident in the insurance company yet.

Thank you very much for your words. It IS possible I guess that someone could respond, the drone has my name and phone number on it. But the speed with which the signal and video dropped suggests something fatal, like a bird (or maybe alien abduction).

2 Likes

Sad for your loss & getting messed about by insurer. Reminds me of when my P3SE went down in heather on 'moors here (low battery, misjudged strong return wind, all my fault :roll_eyes:). Saw the general area it went down (far off), but could have been tramping through knee-high heather (& streams) for hours (even with flash/twitch working). This was before I knew heard about flight-logs or the vast GADC knowledge-base… so I punched the co-ords from ‘Find my Drone’ into a handheld Garmin, which took me right to about 10ft of actual location and managed to retrieve it, undamaged (lucky :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:). Trust you get sorted out (either via insurance or elsewhere).

1 Like