Kidwelly Castle Challenge

I have the same trouble with Carew Castle a Cadu site BUT as long as you use a nearby public footpath and cause no obstruction then you can do so (so i have been told)
Well done you in posting the photo .
If you want to arrange a mass fly over count me in

2 Likes

Here is just my starter for 10 on where I post it… mu ha ha.

And OOI who *told you" that’s ok? I agree just I’m also nosey.

2 Likes

Post it on Instagram and tag visit wales, bet they repost it

4 Likes

Just an update …

Just spoke to an IG user who has a similar shot and he had a woman (must be the same one) rant at him as well. Funny thing though, he tells me CADW reposted it on their page :rofl::rofl::rofl: so clearly they are worried by it.

NOT.

3 Likes

Had a look at the NFD website, and it says:

This website is an aid to unmanned aircraft flight planning only it does not replace the mandatory tools and checks required before flight (e.g. NOTAMS, Official Airspace Charts etc.). The data has been derived from official sources however we don’t claim it is fully up to date/correct and this website has not been certified by any governing body and used at your own risk.

Therefore, can this be a reliable website to use?
There has to be an official website, approved by the CAA and or government that we can all access, drone users and non-drone users, and so we can all enjoy the beautiful sites that this country of ours has to offer.
This will hopefully stop the sort of unnecessary confrontations that we all seem to have with people who have a little knowledge, which is always dangerous.

NATS Drone Assist app has to be the one. After all - it’s released in the name of NATS (ergo “Approved by the CAA”).
If they can’t get it right then …. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Saying that - they don’t have NT/EH etc … since their remit is “air space”, not “ground access/permission”.

So that still isn’t covered … nor should they cover it … for that very reason.

Nor will anyone ever cover EVERYTJHING! Basically the info is far too difficult to find out, let alone collate.

1 Like

Having once had a run in with an over zealous staff member from Scottish Canals, you did much better than I did at standing your ground. I just packed up and left.

Staff training aside, Scottish Canals seem to have their heads screwed on when it comes to drone flights by hobbyists. All they ask is that you stick to the drone code.

For commercial flights they charge a fee that they re-invest into the canal network. That seems to be aimed more at the film/television industry with expectations of disruptions because of canal/towpath closures and the like.

I was going to bang on about the National Trust… but it turns out that the National Trust for Scotland also seems to take a fairly sensible approach to drone flights. Not quite as “stick to the Drone Code and you’re good” as Scottish Canals, but nothing that I have a problem with:

Historic Scotland is also likewise enlightened. Most of their properties are ancient settlements or monuments in the middle of fields, so they understandably want to control flights ‘from’ the sites… But show me another organisation like them which actually documents that if you fly from land outwith their care to take pictures or video of their properties then, within the confines of the Drone Code, have at it.

Comparing all this to the blanket “We do not grant permission for private flying” stance of the National Trust in England and Wales, and I can see why there’s so much animosity and there are so many posts which end up as discussion about the legality of their rules and/or how to get around them!

1 Like

On the No Fly Drones front… I’m just bemused. Why does Bill think his model flying club needs a bigger Drone exclusion zone than either Glasgow or Edinburgh International Airports? :thinking:

4 Likes

Ha ha brilliant mate. I have views of the Tax Office from my house, yes damn boring although when it gets blown down next year maybe worth coming that ??? Next time you planning a fly give me a shout. I have friends that way to. :+1:

White Castle - Cadw “owned” told my drone was a Plague ! Lol

5 Likes

That must be a fairly new thing. Last time I checked it was commercial only.

Good to see they have seen sense.

I have a feeling it’s a similar situation to the forestry commission and the SOAC.

1 Like

Tempted to chance my luck with a quick call to Culzean next time the sun shines :wink:

1 Like

I park at Croy shore and walk along the beach.

Take off from there and no permission needed. They turned me down previously when it was a blanket ban.

1 Like

@JoeC Appears I was wrong about the blanket ban. It was down to the property managers.

I started this thread a while back but haven’t really updated it as I just stopped asking.

Drones on National Trust for Scotland properties

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

So… to revive this thread… I did indeed write a polite, but firm email of dissatisfaction to CADW.

Today I got the following response:

Bore da Stuart

Firstly apologies for the delay in responding to your email. You’re correct in saying that you can fly 50m away but if you want to fly over the castle then you would need permission. There is a procedure for applying which you can see in the attached. Unlawful drone flying has become an increasing problem at our sites and we have procedures in place to report incidents to the CAA and Police, although I’m not suggesting this was the case this time. I am happy to reinforce our drone flying policy at our next training seminar to ensure there’s clarity on what is and isn’t permitted. Please feel free to apply to fly over our sites using the attached

Regards

Roy

I’ve Italicised a bit that I still disagree with, but it seems they do have facility in place (not advertised anywhere I could see) to request a fly over.

Which is a much better approach than the NT’s “no drones, at all” approach.

p.s. I’d be happy to share the attachment for any interested only they forgot to attach anything :smiley: - I’ve replied asking for it so expect a response now about July 2020!

1 Like

The NT, like CADW will always tell you this and when asked why will tell you it’s for safety and for protection of what they maintajn and possibly even for GDPR / human rights.

Bottom line is they don’t owm airspace sp can’t deny a legal use of that airspace.

As to byelaws you’d need to ask the organisation and / or the local authority about those. Just remember that what they say is for their benefit and not necessarily accurate.

2 Likes

There’s no obligation for bye-laws to be made available online, but you can definitely ask for a copy. Most of these organisations will struggle to justify their claims, but the National Trust bye-laws are available here. The key one is bye-law 24 - you can be prosecuted if you “disturb” or “annoy” people using the property. If Cadw have equivalent bye-laws, I can’t find them.

It’s often said that landowners don’t own their airspace. This is not true. They do own their airspace and that gives them certain rights e.g. to prevent others building a bridge above their land. However, landowners don’t control flights in their airspace.

The bottom line is that you can fly over NT land (and Cadw land), but there are number of laws that could be used against you if you fly low enough to cause a nuisance. So I suggest stay high, avoid times when visitors have access to the property, and be discreet.

4 Likes

:+1:

1 Like