Land permissions

[quote=“harmchar, post:16, topic:47412, full:true”] the admin can somehow be rewarded for their efforts. Even a “buy me a coffee” style token gesture would be adopted by most members I’m sure. :beers:
[/quote]

There is. Or was. I can’t find the thread.

I think the OP was correct when saying that for many times dronescene indicates landowner’s permission not needed, when local knowledge reveals very much the opposite. If you know its wrong for your own area, it does not inspire confidence to use it to plan away trips. The tick button that says permission not needed seems to be causing the problem.

Surely when you plan away trips you do more research than dronescene…

4 Likes

Currently under review due to the middle-men skimming from the donations:
https://greyarro.ws/t/adverts-and-coffee/38638/108?u=earwig

I think the problem with the “landowner permission” entry is that it is, to some extent, open to interpretation. We all know (I think) that NT do not (generally) allow TOAL from their properties. However, we are mostly of the opinion that if you TOAL from public land you can overfly an NT property or photograph it from a safe distance. Often, people adding this sort of entry will supply details of parking, access, TOAL points, etc., which is helpful, but do you mark the entry as permission required or not? Yes, you need landowner permission if you intend to TOAL on their land, but you don’t need it if you’re flying the location from elsewhere.

As has been pointed out many times, Drone Scene is just a guide and it’s ultimately the pilot’s responsibility to check the parameters of their flight.

6 Likes

I really dont understand what is going on here, the CAA and only the CAA are in charge of airspace, only they can give permission to fly if it is a restricted area or No fly zone, otherwise in normal airspace it is only the TOAL that any landowner can give permission for or not, if it is not a restricted or no fly zone (as prescribed by the CAA) and you follow the licence rules and regs you can fly anywhere, the TOAL area is for you to sort out, a layby or other public area near where you want to fly if the landowner i.e. NT is a bit fuddy duddy will be fine. Everyone is making it much more complicated than it needs to be, I suggest getting rid of the “landowner permission not needed or needed” from the where to fly, you’ll soon find out, but if your sensible it should be OK normally, they won’t throw you in jail…

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s the best way to go. It takes seconds to tick the landowner permission option and if someone has gone to the trouble of obtaining information on permission (from a landowner for example) for a TOAL point and have given GADC members the benifit of their efforts by publicising this, then surely thats a good thing? I for one would like it to remain and see little value in removing it!

3 Likes

I’d get rid of the options and make it a second text field specifically for permissions, where to park & take off. When the scene is viewed, this text can be displayed with a header warning to check the permissions before TOAL.

I’ve just built my first FPV and started flying. I have looked at the sites shown on Drone scene and I’m a bit confused. I assumed the purpose of the web site was to show places to fly if you were going somewhere that you didn’t know, but clearly some of them are in no-fly zones. Most also say that the owners permission status is unknown, but again a quick search on the internet shows otherwise.

Is this site aimed at showing where you can fly safely and within the regulations, or just showing where people have flown, regardless of whether it is permitted?

@Droningtony I have moved your post to this existing thread on the very same subject

If you find any of these they can be flagged, but don’t confuse ‘No Fly Zones’, which is made up rubbish by DJI, the ‘official’ Flight Restriction Zones (FRZ), does not necessarily mean you can not fly there, permission can often be sought by calling the relevant authority in that area.

Again permission is not needed to fly over any site (outside of a FRZ), although landowners permission is needed for take off and landing, the local authority tool will help you find if there are any byelaws i place restricting TOAL, sometimes its just not possible to find out who the landowner is,

Again if in doubt, post a question on the relevant forum post for the location.

Oh and welcome to GADC

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I think I need to understand it a bit more. I’ll read around and maybe undertake some formal training.

Following on from the last comment, I think the problem was that I didn’t understand what Class D meant. Now I’ve looked it up it all makes sense… The other confusing bit was the difference between permission to TOAL and overfly.

Land Ownership across the whole of England is a cloudy and mysterious subject, as any reading of Guy Shrubsole will show you. A lot of the big landowners just don’t want it known who they are and how much of England their ancestors grabbed. I take the view that land whose ownership is unknown is free to TOAL unless they reveal themselves and tell you one way or the other. Though there might be a bailiff with a gun who shows up, but you can always ask what his authority is.

More and more land is registered these days.

Any sale of land requires compulsory registration.

The vast majority of land that I look at is registered as a result.

Costs £3 to establish the ownership if registered.