Late afternoon flight - Wetheral Church

A couple of pic’s taken yesterday. After watching a couple of YT vids about the pro camera settings on the mini 2, thought I’d try out a flight over the local village to experiment! These are straight from the card although I may have had the white balance set a bit too warm, I think. Anyways, its a start instead of using auto settings all the time!!

21 Likes

Amazing shots buddy.

Would you mind sharing the links to YT? Wouldn’t mind playing with the settings.

3 Likes

Cheers @ResilienceUAV. One of the videos is the latest one by @ianinlondon - https://youtu.be/gBA4S1hm29o really helpful as always and the other is by Geeksvana - https://youtu.be/AKFSCVaH-LU . Hope you find these useful, mate.

3 Likes

When I was involved in photo processing many years before digital stuff, Kodak film was always ‘warm’ because the majority of photos were ‘happy snaps’ of holidays and weddings etc, and the warmer colours were more pleasing to the eye.Fuji film was always a greener tint Nikon another was cooler and bluer. Everyone viewed it differently, what some liked, others didn’t, that’s the trouble with photographs, everyone likes different tints.I think yours are about spot on, to my eye, but maybe not others. It has a warmth that lends itself to the age, setting and character of the building. Lovely photos.

2 Likes

Nice pics, WB looks good to me :+1: I always leave my WB set to 5600K, but shooting in RAW means you can change it later in edit to anything you want.

3 Likes

Many thanks Brian for your kind words. I never knew that about different film manufacturers historically using different tints. I guess that explains the different tones and tints you can get from photographs looking through old albums and the like. In my old albums some photos do have definite warm or cold feeling sometime a bit out of place. With my photos above, I take your point about WB lending itself to the setting and character of the building. This isn’t something I had thought of but something I,ll remember next time I,m out. Once again, many thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks John. Haven’t really tried much shooting in RAW. I ll have a go next time out. I can see a purchase of better photo editing software coming on, I think. Luminar AI caught my eye but I really don’t know too much about them. I need to read through some of the threads on the forum to see what the general consensus is on them. Do you have a preference with what you use?

1 Like

Try snapseed, it’s free. You can always buy a more expensive one later, you can play with all sorts of parameters, even alter perspective on snapseed. I’m a, happy user.

4 Likes

Great on all devices. even works with the cached files for quickly adding to instagram etc in the field

3 Likes

I agree.

I didn’t know you could shoot raw formats on the mini. Thanks for that. Beautiful shots too.

2 Likes

Thanks @Brian , @milkmanchris . I do use Snapseed from time to time. Probably showing my ignorance here but didn’t realise you can use it for editing RAW photos, as well. Admittedly with only ever taken JPEGs I have never thought of trying it!

Thanks @H1net. Not 100% sure, but think the RAW format is only on the mini 2 not the original Mavic mini. Someone please correct me if i’m wrong!

That is correct, no RAW capture on the original Mini

1 Like

I use Photoshop Chris. I’ve never really used anything else, been using it for years for work. I had heard that Photopea | Online Photo Editor was pretty good as a free alternative. Not used it myself but a friend does. I just tried opening a RAW from a Mini 2 on it and it works fine. Shooting in RAW gives you so much more scope to adjust images as you are editing the original file whereas in JPEGS your camera settings are kind of baked in.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a go. Even if I can use it or the likes of Snapseed to start playing about with the various details and settings before jumping into something more in depth. Thanks for the advice, John. :+1:

1 Like

Great photos Chris :+1:t2: Love the first one with the viaduct in the background and the river running down the side :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks buddy. Will check them out.

1 Like

Thanks Steve. My first attempt at using the pro/manual settings with the mini 2 as opposed to just using auto all the time. The amount of adjustments you have is fantastic but I need alot of practice. I m pleased with the results above but must have taken about 40/50 shots to get those two!!!

1 Like

It’s great having all those adjustments. It’s a learning curve but we’ll worth it :smiley:

Lol I always do the same mate, take 50 or more shots and pick 2 or 3 favourites :+1:t2:

1 Like