Latest Drone User Magazine - I Got a Spread

Submitted some images and text to DU Mag and it was used. I’m pleased with this.

14 Likes

Good work Steve, well done mate :clap:

1 Like

Thanks Steve. I took so many images on that trip that it was hard to choose which to send - luckily they were limited to drone shots and I did not have to check through hundreds of DSLR images.

That’s great! Congratulations!

1 Like

Many congrats Steve, well deserved :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Well done Steve, imagine the payday in the good old days for a 6 page glossy spread ;o)

3 Likes

Many thanks Geoff @geoff and Chris @clinkadink
Chris @milkmanchris you are right. Mind you, I am used to it from niche magazines. In the eighties and nineties I used to write for and provide images to 3 or 4 Blues magazines (Juke Blues, Blues in Britain, Blues & Rhythm and British Blues Review) and although I did not get paid for the articles and reviews, I did benefit in many other ways. Firstly, I could use the magazine names to get in to gigs and festivals (15 years of free gigs (about 2 or 3 a week)). I also got paid work (or at least payment for use of images) in a couple of books and other general mags, I earned a good whack from record companies for use on CD covers and for promo work with a few bands but most importantly on a personal level, I got to meet and even become good friends with many of my ‘heroes’. Having said that, I doubt I could do it now as I find it difficult staying up after 10pm lol.
If you are interested, some of the shots are here and here.

Always interested in a fellow togs work.

Put a manual film camera in a lot of peoples hands now with 36 goes at Kodachrome or some XP1 and see how many last to the 2nd gig.

1 Like

@milkmanchris That is so true Chris. People do not know they are born nowadays with digital and histograms etc. and being able to check images on the spot. I remember at one gig I asked a ‘professional’ music photographer for some advice and his reply was ‘shoot at least half a dozen rolls of film and you are bound to get a couple of good shots’. That was the last time I asked advice lol.

Doing all of this in my spare time (the rest of my spare time was spent in the darkroom until stupid o’clock) and having to pay for everything up front, I had one or two rolls for each act, including backstage, and used to get at least a 50% keeper rate which I was very proud of.

3 Likes

Enjoyed reading that Steve, very well done :clap: Just a pity our Scottish weather wasn’t kinder to you!

1 Like

Thank you very much John @Drumsagard Haha, certainly no need to apologise for the weather. I know how it works lol and I got some great atmospheric shots which would not have worked with bright sunny weather. My only regret is that I live so far away from the Highlands so that visits are very few and far between.

Ok, very well done, but now you’ll have loads of Americans coming over to Scotland after seeing your shots of that trip.
Seriously though you have captured a great glimpse of just what Scotland has on offer.
Well done!

2 Likes

Very nice work indeed, well done. Only one problem, you’ve left me NOTHING to video on my May trip :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

@yogi053 @B0M0A0K Thank you very much guys.
I shouldn’t worry @B0M0A0K . Scotland is such a beautiful country and there is SO MUCH to see and video/photo that you will have trouble deciding what to take. You will certainly run out of time and batteries before you get anywhere near running out of subjects.

1 Like

totally agree! :+1: :grinning:

2 Likes

Yup! I have to keep reminding myself that I live in a place others come for a holiday. It shouldn’t ever get old. One hour in any direction and you are in some of the most stunning scenery in the world! :laughing:

I will be taking my A2S with three batteries and expect to run those out each day (hopefully). Have just been making a sunshade for my iPad 4.

1 Like