Legal flying locations in South East Wales

Hi all.

I’m new to flying proper drones and have recently acquired my first; a DJI Mavic Mini. After having much smaller, toy drones in the past, I’m stunned by the performance difference - so far this thing is epic!

One thing I’m struggling with is finding legal places to fly in my local area. I’m based in South East Wales between Newport and Chepstow.

So far I’ve identified a local countryside park, which is perfect on an evening with virtually nobody around. I have contacted the local council though for confirmation of no byelaws preventing flights there (and witting the wider Monmouthshire area).

I’ve also found a number of spots along the Severn estuary leading up to the Prince of Wales Bridge.

I’m building a map on Google with potential drone spots and so would really appreciate any recommendations.

On a side note - so far this forum has been a brilliant source of advice and guidance - great work!

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Have you tried drone scene, it’s full of places to fly some may help you, also you could add the places you have found to help others out.

2 Likes

A quick glance at the dronescene map shows a remarkably emptyarea in regards to Flying Restriction Zones and a healthy amount of magenta areas in the Bristol Channel and along the river Usk. That indicates Crown Estates stewardship and those guys have a welcoming attitude to drones flown within the code.

There are also very few reports so far of good flying areas. The only way they appear is when a GADC member spends a couple of minutes writing a report. So the onus is on you, Matt, to get out there, fly and tell us all about the sites you have discovered :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks both for your replies.

I hadn’t seen the drone scene map. This is great and will help me to identify suitable locations. I have used the NATS drone app, which has proven useful too.

No pressure then, but challenge accepted on issuing reports of good flying locations within my area. I only have the South Wales wind to contend with :smiley:

1 Like

I nearly lost a Phantom 4 to the South Wales wind not fun

2 Likes

Goldcliff seawall is a good place to fly.