Lightening over Sheffield

Hi All.
Newbie here. I’m very pleased to join you.
I be retiring this year, so in advance, I treated myself to a drone.
Here is my first post.
I was fortunate to get a few shots of the thunderstorm over Sheffield today using a DJI Mini 3 Pro.

23 Likes

Hi @Mangofly - welcome tp GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi @Mangofly and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Epic photos! More brave than I would be though :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

1 Like

@Mangofly hi welcome to the club happy flying cracking shots of the lightning

I had to make a rapid descent and sprint for shelter when the rain suddenly arrived.

Great shots !

Very Impressive. :+1:

Well, if you’ve JUST treated yourself to the Mini, you’re off to a great start. Fantastic shots. I’m assuming it wasn’t raining where you were :umbrella: :cloud_with_rain:

You’re right. It wasn’t raining when I started. I had to pack up rather rapidly when the rain came.
By the way, I got a Mavic Mini to see if drone flying was for me. It wasn’t a difficult decision, I decided after a week that it absolutely was and I got the Mini 3 Pro 2 months ago. I am really enjoying it. It’s a great piece of kit.

@Mangofly great photos, funny i did more or less the same as you, bought a mini, 7 days later mini2, and I absolutely love it, have thought about Mini3 pro, but as yet undecided whether its better than the mini2, Happy flights m8

1 Like

Cheers Tarmactripper. I really enjoyed the mini and got what I feel were good results. I think I’ll go back and have a look and see what I think now. After talking with you, I’m going to fly it again to remind myself what it was like, as I haven’t used it since I got the M3P. Do you still fly your mini?

hello man go fly, i still have the mini, but much prefer the mini2, it’s potential is much greater than the mini, not withstanding that, it was a great drone to learn with, i intend to sell it as i have no need for two. but for the time being the mini 2 suits me fine.

Hi @Mangofly, great shots indeed.Surprised the lightning did not interfere with the electronics or radio signals.

Wow, especially the third one.

1 Like

Hi Tarmactripper, I think I will sell my mini too. I took it out for for a flight and although it’s done me well I realised I probably wouldn’t use it any more.

Hi Shenar. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll bear it in mind next time. I checked on the map and the distance to the lightening was about 5 miles (as the drone flies). I don’t know what would be a safe distance though.

Excellent!