PGYTECH lights on Mavic Air

“That looks neat. Does it clear the ground on landing?”

Unfortunately not but it does with leg extensions but I never use them. It just rests on the strobes, not really a problem if I use a landing pad.

Like the idea of that @Mixyblob, think I maybe buying a second light!

Hi All,

A quick question for everyone ( i’m liking the setup by @Mixyblob ) At what sort of angle can you see these strobes from ? i.e. if the drone is relatively low and distant, and the strobe is on the underside, facing down, can it still be seen reasonably well, albeit not as bright as being directly underneath it ? Viewing angle might be a better way of describing what I’m asking.

Cheers

Simon

Hi BrianB - Am about to purchase Cree light; any advice on how I obtain GADC discount code? Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Quetzal / Dan and welcome to Grey Arrows!

Grey Arrows Drone Club doesn’t charge for membership, but in order to receive the full benefits of the Club, including the numerous exclusive discounts available, one needs to contribute :slight_smile:

Please take a look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Once people reach ‘Full Member’ level, everything is magically unlocked :smiley:

2 Likes

@PingSpike beat me too it! Thanks Rich

1 Like

Hi @PingSpike - thanks for explaining - will do!

1 Like

Thanks BrianB

1 Like

I built some diy strobes using 3w bead leds. They were super bright - visible in daylight to at least 1 mile. The flash rate on the ‘mark 1’ was a bit quick, so battery life was only about 40 mins. I have ordered a few bits and pieces to build a micro controller based solution which will offer the ability to program the flash sequence and rate. If all goes to plan, the whole item will be less than a fiver to build! I’ll let you know how it goes once the parts arrive (from China)

3 Likes

Micro controller and programming board finally arrived. :grinning: Programming the micro controller was easy enough and the results are good. Infinite fun changing flash duration’s and frequency using ‘low power’ LEDS. :crazy_face: Now need to upscale the LED to the full CREE 3W which should be easy enough, just need a bit time! But not today… off sailing!

Hi Steve, I am contemplating fitting strobes to my M2Z to assist in VLOS I looked at Lume Cube but at £189 a pair I thought I would look for alternatives, my question is do you have links to the sellers of these bits …cheers Garry

Search the forum for Strobon … especially the #members-only area. :wink:

Oh cheers Dave I really must start and go to the beginning of a thread if I had then I would of found my answer I really must take @PingSpike advise and pay a visit to Specsavers :blush::+1:

3 Likes

No probs.

There are probably as many ways of attaching as there are members that have them.

My preferred method … means they stay on permanently and arms fold ok.

… albeit that’s my MP.

I agree with Dave, it’s as easy to leave them on than to keep removing them.

1 Like

Been looking at the Strobon Cree on Flytron and a good deal using discount count code, so is there any improvement on VLOS using these during day ?

Yes - depending on the brightness of the day.

A “standard dreary British mid-summer day” …. recent weather and against grey/dark clouds …. they make a difference.

Also I’ve flown up through fog with them, and had perfect sight of them when the MP had gone into stealth mode.

1 Like

Thats great I did not want to buy just for the sake of it as daytime is my primary use thanks m8 :+1:

Have to agree, especially on the Mavic, the LOS distance is dramatically increased - even more so on a traditionally British cloudy day :blush:

1 Like

Hi Garrycorb, sorry for the late reply but I was out of the country. With regard to the strobe, I can send you the parts list if you like for the mark 1, but I have tonight completed a proto-type of the mark 2 and just blinded myself with the LED. I think I should have worn my sunnies for protection! :sunglasses:. The new mark 2 set up definitely is doing exactly what I programmed it to do. I am currently testing durability and battery life, though it looks like its going to take some time as the voltage drop is very small, which is good as it means a long battery life! If all goes to plan, the mark 2 will be as ‘cheap as chips’ to make… well less than a fiver at any rate! I’ll update as soon as I finish some durability testing. By the way, I also built and test a 3W red LED version which is equally blinding. This version needs a slightly different design given the LED voltage drop difference.

1 Like