Line of sight - interpretation

So lets say i am stood in a field out in the countryside and their is not an obstacle for miles.
I decide to test the distance on my MP.
I send it in a straight line in one direction till I cannot see it due to it only being a little thing and all that.
I can see all around that there are no trees or obstacles etc and I am under 400ft but I cannot physically see it with the naked eye.

Do I still have line of sight according to the code?
Thanks helpful chaps

Drone code mentions “Visual line of sight” (VLOS).

You need to be able to see the drone with unaided eye. Correctional lenses are acceptable.

2 Likes

If you cannot see it then it is not within Visual line of sight.
It doesn’t take much to lose sight of them especially on a bright day, quick look at the screen then it’s a struggle to see it when you look back. I have flown it well beyond line of sight, 3000ft out to sea, couldn’t see or hear it, but still outside of the code.

2 Likes

thanks gents,
so even with the goggles and having a spotter with me, if its out of sight I am off to drone jail?

1 Like

straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect ÂŁ200 pounds

3 Likes

Yep, it’ll be soap on a rope and going down for a long stretch :smiley:

3 Likes

but if we each get ÂŁ200 our lips are sealed

2 Likes

Well… if a copper asks where’s your drone…(by which time you’ve set RTH) you can point in the general direction that it’s coming from and you say repeatedly… “what ? can’t you see it”

10 Likes

What about if I’m wearing those new zoom contact lenses?

1 Like

I had a spec saver moment. Lost sight of mine today.

2 Likes

I do this ALL the time with the Mavic :slightly_frowning_face:

I can see it, clear as day, nailed to the sky like it aways is. I look down at the screen. I look up at the drone…

Wait…

WTF???

It was there a minute ago!?!?

DJI have invented some kind of Star Trek cloaking device - I’m convinced of it!!

4 Likes

If I I can’t see it , then nobody else can . :grimacing:

2 Likes

DJI need a new button on the Controllers ! a “BMUS” Button (if all else fails !)
“Beam Me Up, Scotty !”

2 Likes