Lost Drone DJI Mini2 Can anyone help?

As expected …

At 12:30, RTH was even making 6-7mph into the wind, too. What a shame!

1 Like

Wow… you didnt take off with a full battery I dont think ( 75%) … at 30% thats when you should have been landing it next to you but by then it was too far away and couldnt handle the wind …

So many warnings … Compass error - always recalibrate with that otherwise it may not know where it is… you took it to 250 foot right away :frowning: - Always test Drone control as you go through the different heights (i always check at 50ft , then 75 , then 100 to ensure it goes where i want it to) and then after sport mode was engaged you simpky didnt reduce its altitude …

But you know all this … and I am not preaching as Ive made enough mistakes and nearly lost a Mini and an AIr 2 …

but yep its in those gardens …

1 Like

if it helps when my MA2 ran out of battery I was about 9m above ground and it drifted 20m (on a windless day) as it dropped down …so look within 20m of that final point further downwind… its def there …

From someone who lost a much more basic drone to the wind several years ago:

1. I actually think it’s brave of you to post this and admit to the errors in judgement. That’s a credit to you. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and always 20/20, eh?

2. it’s gone. Even if you find it, it’s fallen 200 feet by the time it hit the ground. Just be thankful that no serious damage, injury or worse was caused by it doing so.

3. if you buy another one, you’ll want to pay attention to those warnings and make a call on the wind before you even leave the ground. 23.7 mph at ground level wouldn’t see my bigger M2P going up. Once you got to some height you were doomed. Article 241 wouldn’t be your friend if you’d hit anything with that wind and those warnings.

I’m sure you feel bad enough as it is so hopefully you can chalk this one (albeit expensively) up to experience and maybe someone else reading this may learn from it.

3 Likes

when you took off you had 70% battery I’ve been told you should never let the lithium batts go below 20%

you had plenty of wind warnings and should have come back

also you had lost signal with your controller and it should have RTH unless you cancelled it

when I lost mt mini2 it was loads of controller signal loss more than once and no RTH

I think their is a problem with mini2 and loss of signal and no RTH

I was once told we are not the drone police give the man a break

11 Likes

agreed … we are al wise after the event … :+1:

1 Like

My tuppence worth…so it passed the peak of the roof, and being on the leeward side I would expect it to be coming down faster. Coincidentally it looks like it tumbled off the roof guttering and still tumbling appears to stop right where the small roof guttering is.

Do you know anyone with a Mini 2 who can fly over and check if it’s on someone’s roof ?

That was a hard watch! seeing the poor thing fighting for its life :frowning_face: and losing.

Really hope you manage to find it.

1 Like

Unlikely - since at the end of the track it was still 162ft above take-off … and it’s not that hilly around there.

In the playback I think it updated RTH and if so and at a high attack angle due to the wind, could that reading have been false?

Just look at the logs … it’s barometric.

3 Likes

Thx, learnt something!

Nearly all heights shown in the app are barometric above(/below) take-off since they are way more accurate than GPS altitudes.

Nearer the ground some will quote “Sonar height” or “VPS Height” as well as the normal height for the precision landing.

You can see sonar in the log, too … but it must be above it’s maximum value … since it’s constant when the barometric isn’t … for some time before. … as in, nearly all the flight.

2 Likes

Saddens me to say, Looking at how fast the poor mite was getting blown, it may have travelled a lot further. The other side of road looks like playing fields. Or lots of door knocking :pensive: Does anyone know at what % the mini2 forces landing?

Think I can say we’re all rooting for the wee guys safe return :ok_hand:t3:

3 Likes

Sorry, should have read more carefully. It’s clear which way the wind was. Hope you find it.

Thanks for that one. I went as far as the two rows of houses on the other side of the main road but not the playing field. Worth a try. I did a quick calculation using schoolboy physics that given fall time from 80m to be 4 seconds. If the wind speed was 23.7mph that is 10.6metres per second so in 4 seconds it would have drifted 42meters before hitting ground which would indeed have put it further across the road and heading for playing field.

2 Likes

From several Youtube videos about the Mini 2s behaviour on low battery, even when it gets down to 0% it will still be trying to descend gracefully, so unlikely that it would have just plummeted to the ground directly below it’s last known location. More likely to have been blown a bit further than you expect