Low Flying Areas in Snowdonia not Showing on Maps?

I am thinking of making a trip to the Ogwen Cottage / Devil’s Kitchen area of Snowdonia - however when I checked the various maps & drone apps I was very surprised to note that with the exception of RAF Valley, RAF Mona, & Caernarfon airport, there are apparently no restrictions on drone flying in Snowdonia.

As a one-time regular visitor to Ogwen I am very well aware that it is in constant use (Monday - Friday) as a low-level recovery route back to RAF Valley. Target height for aircraft passing through here is 250 feet, so it would be very easy to accidentally place a drone in one’s path.

Just curious as to why it isn’t showing on any of the maps - (Airmap, SD Light, Drone Assist).

This was all I could find too:

Link to that map:

https://dronesafetymap.com/#loc=52.9719039,-3.9128492,11&ts=5

MLFA info here … Low flying military aircraft: Where and when low flying happens - GOV.UK

https://notaminfo.com/nationalmap

This one with all the boxes ticked shows it…a bit

Even that is only making reference to the “Mach Loop” - the very well known & heavily photographed low flying route through Central Wales.

The monthly timetables only give info on what’s going to be active.

I know - but the route over Llyn Ogwen is active Monday - Friday, as is whatever path they take through the mountains to get there!

I’ve also just had a quick look at the low level route over Windemere, Grasmere, Thirlmere & on up to Keswick. The only restriction anywhere in that area is a hang gliding site between Derwentwater & Bassenthwaite.

Yet as anybody who has been there knows, military aircraft use that route at extreme low level several times a day. The Lake District National Park do not ban drone flying, so how is it that these military routes are not flagged on our mapping apps?

1 Like

An oversight in what data the apps aggregate probably.

The military are aware of risks of drone activity and have ask people to contact advisory line before flying in LFA’s.

Should definately be on the apps.

jpeg

2 Likes

Thanks for that - not seen that one before!

1 Like

Credit to @SteveM on that one.

He posted it over here, Using Drone Assist Et Al - #3 by SteveM?

1 Like

1 Like