M2P battery car charger

I understand the idea behind it, but it should be the users discretion. All three of my cars have a separate battery for this purpose, which are isolated from the main battery.
I object to paying over £50 for something that I can’t use as I wouldn’t charge a lipo in my car whilst driving in case of a lipo fire. And I’m not leaving my car running whilst I’m flying

I’m anxious to see how my new car charges the drone batteries!,
it’s a Toyoto CH-R Full Hybrid
(Part battery, Part engine) should not be hard to tap into them Batteries for a top up !.
Roll on next month !

1 Like

It’s bollocks, isn’t it?

Same situation in my motorhome with the leisure batteries - they’re naturally 12v too, but not the 14.1v or whatever value DJI plucked from thin air :angry:

An inverter works, using your mains charger, but it just seems sooooo pointless though, ramping the voltage from 12v right up to 240v only then for the mains charger to bring it straight back down again :disappointed:

Realistically, this is probablty the best option:

Sell the DJI car charger on eBay and use those funds to buy an aftermarket 12v charger?

If you are going to design a charger DJI, make one that works with ALL cars.
Bet your “Rickshaws” have a provision to charge on them ! LOL

Ugh. Just bought a refurbished DJI one with the intention of using it with a battery pack that has a 12v outlet. May have to rethink that. Waiting on an adapter being delivered so I can give it a go.

@colinbm check this one out mate, not sure if that’s where your train of thought was heading, but some other threads along the ‘battery pack’ line - Cheap batteries and charge during camping - #2 by PingSpike

1 Like

If you don’t mind a little DIY, you can purchase a 10A DC-DC step up transformer.

Fit it in a small enclosure with a cigarette lighter socket and lead.

You can set the voltage to 14 or 15v.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LAOMAO-Converter-10-32V-12-35V-Adjustable/dp/B00HV43UOG/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=12v+boost+converter&qid=1558212060&s=gateway&sprefix=12v+boost&sr=8-8

2 Likes

Hmmm, that’s not a bad idea! Have you done this @callum?

1 Like

Incidentally, I use one of these to charge up my Titan kit (so I don’t need to carry another charger):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KUNCAN-Converter-Cable-Voltage-2-1mm-Black/dp/B01ID90K4A/

Never actuality measured the voltage coming out of it though… I wonder…

2 Likes

Not with that application but I’ve used them on 12v systems to run 24v sensors.

If you use one around double the wattage of the dji charger it should run fairly cool and could be mounted in an aluminium enclosure with air slots.

So like you say, you’d just need a suitable enclose and one of these…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOWLED-Cigarette-Extension-Portable-Connector/dp/B06XGSZ8RY/

and literally just fit that in the middle of the cable, right?

2 Likes

If it’s a set voltage it should be fairly accurate.

You get ones with an LCD which display voltage setting but it’s always best to set with a multimeter when adjusting pot.

1 Like

Yeah pretty much.

You’d want to fit an in line fuse as well. 10 amps would probably do.

It could go in the enclosure or on the lead.

Make the lead as short as practically possible.

1 Like

I have one of these, along with a solar panel to charge it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0753FDN1R/

I was aiming to use the 12v outlet on it along with a cigarette outlet cable, rather than the inverter and regular charger, while sailing.

May have to use the onboard 12v outlets and only use when running the engine, as with cars, but will look into options!

3 Likes

Wondering if one of these would work.

Cut off the output male plug and replace with a socket.

12v to 15v 7A

Hope this might be of use to you guy’s
The mavic pro charger states 13-24 v
I have a 12/24 v jump pack used to start the trucks. I charged on the 12v side 2x mavic pro batteries and the controller at the same time with no problems. The measures output voltage was 12.62v

There is another cheaper way and easier to make work, you could go to ebay, buy a 12v laptop charger which the output generally ranges from 15-19v at up to 6.5 amps.
Cut the laptop plug off and you will be left with a white wire in the centre, and a screen round the outside. Solder the white to the centre pin of a cigarette lighter socket and the screen to the casing. Ie negative. Plug the laptop charger into your cigarette socket and plug your dji car charger into the socket from the power supply. @ 19v that takes care of your problems cheaply. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Now that’s an idea I have the bits to do that in the shed including the laptop car charger.

Very cheap stabilised power supply, just check that charger is capable of providing the current. 6 amp is plenty mav charger need 3-3.5a

1 Like

Obviously watch you don’t drain the car battery too low

I don’t know if I have missed something here, it may just that there is no power to the socket unless the engine is running. I would have imagined you have checked this?