Mackerel - fishing with drones

How feasible do you think it would be to catch a mackerel using a weighted feather…on a Mavic 2 Pro?

Mackerel can put up a reasonable fight. I think you would be better off with a SwellPro in case of immersion - and pack it externally with foamed polystyrene to add bouyancy. :shark:

2 Likes

The wife would kill me if I got another one…

Better off using the drone to drop the feathers rather than use them in a fight.

As said mackerel can’t half fight for their size

1 Like

The M1P (not really that much different in performance to the M2P) can lift a full bottle of beer … (demo here.) … and whilst it would be a sizeable mackerel if it weighed that much, I can imagine that the force they can apply in their attempt to escape could be quite a lot more.

Not shown in my demo was the consequence of the bottle starting to swing … and the bottle of beer weighing close to the same as the MP made it quite entertaining.
Obviously - you’d be using a longer line that in my vid, and this would reduce the impact - but a feisty mackerel pulling at strange angles with a force close to what the M2P can withstand … might be a couple of steps of “entertaining” too far.

Let me know if you try … I’ll bring mine over to video the exercise. :+1:

There was a thread a long time ago that was more using the drone to take the line out further than one could cast : Drone fishing

1 Like

I wouldn’t fancy it as I happened to see this clip a couple of days ago on Drone Fishing gone wrong where it ends up at the bottom of the lake…

2 Likes

Drone fishing is a thing - carrying the line out several hundred metres, spotting fish, dropping the line and dropping bait in the water are all routine activities.

Loads of videos on You Choob.

One excruciating video of attempting to fish directly is below

That might be one of the worst drone videos I’ve ever seen! :joy:

1 Like

Do you have a spare Mackerel feather?? :laughing:
I only have lines and weights!!

What I know about fishing could be written on a wet fish with piece of chalk … but can’t mackerel be caught using a spinner?

1 Like

That might have worked if the line was 4 times longer and he didn’t pull up as a panic reaction. Not really worth risking a drone for though.

1 Like

Afraid of getting a bass!!

1 Like

I never did like their beers!

1 Like

Used to make our own a few years back.

Simple rig with a bit of tinfoil attached to the shaft of the hook with some baiting elastic. Worked well

1 Like

When I was a youthI had a summer job taking people out for a tuppeny sick around Swanage Bay. Sone of these trips were mackerel fishing. If nothing was biting I’d head for the sewage outfall as mackerel are happy to scavenge in such places.

Several times kids caught “Mersey Cod” to my secret delight and their parents’ emnarrasment …

2 Likes

I’m intrigued… mersey cod?

Often found near insufficiently treated sewage along with Brown Trout. As in the Les Barker monologue below, they could be filled with the fruitsa of Friday night’s lust …

These are all I’ve got knocking around the old tackle box. Shall we go with the spinner?

Rig complete…wish me luck!

Not subscribed to my YouTube channel, then?