Maiden flight horror!

So I took delivery of my new DJI Mini 2 and went out to the beach to check it out.
(No lockdown in Guernsey)

I think Percy Puffin noticed me from the last time he took a swipe at my Mini1, and brought his mates along as backup…

24 Likes

Man, you’ve got better eyesight than me! :wink:

2 Likes

From my position at the waters edge I could clearly see the drone and the birds heading towards it from the left, it wasn’t as far out as it looks.
It helps being long-sighted but I honestly thought they were going to pass behind it at first and carry on down the coast.

1 Like

Had maiden flight with mine today harassed by flocks of pigeons bigger than the MM2 video to follow

1 Like

I always seem to attract the birds. Sadly though, they’re always of the feathered variety :joy:

5 Likes

Likewise @AndyCortez

1 Like

I attracted some red kites and a peregrine Falcon on a flight the other day :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

3 Likes

:scream:

My bottom cheeks clenched just watching it :scream::rage::joy:

1 Like

This might be an absolutely daft question from a complete novice but how did you get the sounds of the birds but no sound from the propellers?

1 Like

Really enjoyed this. Nice to get some comic moments in videos. I guess that wasn’t the idea to start with

1 Like

By adding in audio. Downloaded some audio of gulls plus 2 whoosh effects from Epidemic Sound, and adjusted the panning of the whoosh to fit the direction the birds were travelling on screen.
I’m paying a bit more attention to the audio in my videos nowadays as it makes them more immersive, as proven by you thinking that the audio was recorded from the drone :slight_smile:
You can see the extra audio tracks here on the timeline (Tracks 4&5)

2 Likes

Absolutely not. I would’ve preferred to never have had this footage in the first place :rofl:

Great work. The audio was great, but it’s surprising how much time it can add to an edit when searching. I don’t do really well when it comes to adding audio as I don’t have enough patience. Also I only have access to audio that came with my software.

1 Like

Epidemic is so quick and easy to search and download. I tend to spend an hour once a month looking for music and effects that I might use in an upcoming video and keep them for later.
You’re right though, it is time consuming but the end result is usually worth the extra effort.
Wouldn’t this be a more boring video if it were just the silent drone footage?

Yes I agree. Music does add to the mood. Thanks for the info. I’ll try and have a look soon

Holy Crap vicious little sods. That Packham chap needs to get a grip of them.

Wicked mate, well done! What software do you use?

1 Like

Sony Vegas Pro

Here are a couple of screenshots from a flight in Anglesey where a seagull took an unhealthy interest in what I was doing:

3 Likes