Mavic Air 2 - No CE & no AirSense ADS-B kind of leaves us short-changed

I posted this on the DJI Forum and am wondering if the mods there will take down this thread :rofl:

But as it affects us here in the UK so much, it needs a little more shouting.

Don’t’ get me wrong; I still can’t wait to get the Air 2 but for us UK fliers, we need to be fully aware of these little missing features… :slight_smile:
(And the Grey Arrows gets a full on plug in this one! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Ian

I think it’s no secret how much I love most DJI products but I am fairly disappointed to say the least that two significant features are missing for the entire European market from the new Air 2.

AirSense was promised on all >250gm drones for 2020 yet DJI’s latest drone is only offering this in the USA initially on the Air 2, meaning early buyers in Europe will miss out on this hardware ( and therefore not ever get it via a firmware update).

Even more annoyingly is the lack of CE certification for the new Air 2. This is required for all European countries including the UK from later this year and after a 2 year transition period, all old unclassified drones will remain ‘unclassified’ and only be able to be flown in A3 category areas (ie 150 metres from any built up areas). The CAA are very clear that existing unclassified models CANNOT be retrospectively classified, so there is no scope for ‘getting the right sticker issued later’.

So whilst I still think the new Air 2 will be an incredible bit of kit, I think early European buyers need to be aware of these issues. For some it may be a deal-breaker…

Here’s my thoughts

Ian

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: So, DJI, what’s this? The Mavic Air 2 mega thread