Mavic Battery Auto-Discharge - Why? How? Which models?

Just to add as I haven’t seen anyone mention on this thread, remember and set the discharge days for each of your batteries, i.e. If you have 3 batteries, you have to put each battery in drone, power up, change the discharge days to your required days and repeat 3 times.

2 Likes

Thanks, it appears the Fly app doesn’t have this feature. Hopefully in a future firmware update!!

2 Likes

Dear all

What is the best recommendation on the Mavic 2 battery discharge time? The options are 2 to 7 days. Is it the case that if I am going to use it regularly I need to set a shorter discharge type?

Many Thanks

M

Moved your post to this existing thread that has useful info, and other answers may be added.

I have mine set to 4 days as I read some where that it’s a week that does damage so with 4 days until discharge I can charge on Friday and clear the weekend should I get the chance to fly

Last charged my Mavic Air batteries probably 7-10 days ago. Took them out to fully charge in case I get the chance this weekend to get some airtime. Unlikely but … All 3 were quite warm. Not hot just noticeably warm. Case was stored on top of the hard case for Mavic pro 2 and batteries for that were just normal room temperature.

Couldn’t see any obvious problems with the Air 3 ones. Put them on charge and they are now cool to the touch after a good few minutes charging.

They were 75%-ish charged when I took them out so were discharging but not noticed them being warm before.
Anything unusual?
Thanks.
John B

Moved your post to this thread … since the info above will answer your question.

Thanks Dave. Just puzzled as Air batteries were quite warm and never noticed that before. Mavic Pro 2 and Inspire 2 all cool but similarly 25% discharged.

But DURING the discharge they all get warm - as they discharge through an internal resistor.
You obviously returned to the Air batteries before discharge had completed, but only after it had completed for the others.

1 Like

Once again learnt another little wrinkle of knowledge.Cheers.

Morning all
From time to time I’ve browsed the internet looking for answers about our battery / battery’s how & where to store them & safest things regarding these & to try to avoid them swelling,most answers I found no problem,so what I’d like to ask is that I can never find the answer for is,should from time to time we fully discharge our batteries before next charge & how would we do this ? Would it prolong the life of battery / battery’s ? Secondly I keep hearing you can set for when you want your battery to start self discharging but I can never find out how you actually do that,my last MA2 fly more combo the battery’s started to deplete after 72 hours but I had to change the whole fly more combo kit ( long story ) but I’ve noticed these battery’s ( on the new combo kit ) once fully charged if you don’t make it out to fly,they start to discharge after a week which seems long ( is that normal ? ) as I have 6 battery’s in total now & just trying to get the best out of them ( longevity wise ) as for instance if I move on to the A2S these battery’s as the majority of you will probably know will acomadate that drone too.would be great to hear some thoughts thanks.

1 Like

The smart batteries will “storage” charge themselves after 3 to 5 days at full storage (believe it’s configurable). I always storage charge all my “non-smart” Lipos to 3.8V within a day of flying, as they shouldn’t be kept at 4.2 or under 3.8V for long, . You also shouldn’t take them down to under 3V definitely, but 3.3/3.2V lowest you should go.

With the DJI FPV smart batteries I “charge” then to 3/4 lights flashing and then they’ll settle to storage after a few days.

My Mavic Mini batteries are Lithium Ion, and don’t need to be storage charged, and they’re not smart, so they stay at full charge which is useful for a “last minute” grab bag and take a photo.

Ok Thankyou for your reply,I usually bring the drone back to landing we’re I took off with about 20.25 % charge left in them if I can do so there not critically low,a guy mentioned on YouTube when not in use ( I don’t know the amps or volts ) but store them at 50% is this correct & to check them if stored for some time,I’m sure he mentioned in one of his videos to try keep them topped up when in storage if the battery / battery’s start to drop,many thanks

Fully discharging lipo batteries will kill them and render them useless. So the simple answer to your question is No.

1 Like

Thanks for that,that answers that question I now no thanks again

1 Like

In fact the more charge they have when you land them the better for the longevity of the battery. Don’t whittle them down as much as you can every time. A battery landed on 25-30% will live longer than one on 18% every time.

Keeping them topped up is good advice though. And if not in use for a long long time always a good idea to check on them periodically.

We should charge them a bit to allow to get down to storage though after flying no? Where is storage? 60%?

Don’t take my word on this I’ll have to go back on the net but for the MA2 I belive it’s 30 or 50 ( but I’m not a hundred percent ) I’ll actually check it out now I’ll brb :+1:t2:

The batteries should be stored around 40-60% of total power before storing the battery. Long term storage of a battery at 100% is never recommended and should be avoided. If the battery is below this amount, we recommend topping it up until the lights indicate around 50% charged.

That was my assumption ish just pulled that off the web……