Military bases

J20160512-7 SOI No 33 - Restrictions to the Use of Commercially-availabl…pdf (93.7 KB)

Please see the attached file for the militarys take on the flight of Remotely Piloted Air Systems (RPAS) and notice that the CAA rules do not apply instead they have thier own governing body Defence Air Environment (DAE) to control the air above military sites.

The one attached is from 2017 and hasnt changed a great deal since.

Could? No they really wouldn’t be arrested for trespass in that instance, they would have been arrested for breach of the peace. There is no ‘could’ there. Sorry if you got confused.

Great information there thank you, although that document says for their intranet only :smile: it’s not protectively marked.

Appears to primarily be aimed at those wishing to fly from their land, the brief paragraph touching on people wanting to fly over mentions the Defence Air Environment. Having looked at their site, formed in 2010 it’s aimed at safety for military aircraft.

1 Like

:thinking:

Its not and in my opinion it should be distributed to those who may accidentally breach it :man_shrugging:

plus you can get tons of restricted documents online now as people people have made freedom of information act claims for them.

Came across this as just flew up to the red line in this. Its a beautiful piece of coast line and weirdly I have an interest in water related infrastructure so the tidal basin was a good find.

I did look at the firing timetable for Lydd and also had a brief chat with the South East Ops room (number on the timetable) and it was stressed to me to not cross the line I said I wouldn’t just wanted to make them aware it was happening (think stuff like this helps the image of drones and the community in my view anyway)

Chap I spoke to was something to do with ops but was knowledgeable and said not only did he have his own drone but was a military drone operator. .

Anyway I obviously didn’t cross the line, flew from the foreshore and got some great photos which includes some of what I believe is their CQB range.

Be interested to know if they ever allow overflight permission in the same way as in an frz.

2 Likes

Red line in this: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - View this shared location on Drone Scene!

Clearly I was tired last night :rofl:

Is there a formal way to apply for permission to fly in MOD danger areas?

I want to fly about 300 meters inside a “danger area” as per Drone Scene/NATS and the item I want to capture is around 25o meters within. Nether the TOAL or the subject are on MOD land but the zone extends to both anyway.

I have emailed the the safety officer (it is a range) and it was a firm no but with little meat as to why. Just wondered if there was a formal process to apply?

He does not have to give any reason but I suppose you could email the MOD press officer and explain. No doubt the word ‘terrorism’ will crop up from them…and then of course they will no doubt open a file on you… :rofl:

Well yes but just can’t understand the reason haha. Will keep trying haha.

I have flown on several bits of MOD land. I usually speak to Operations Officer explain what I want to record… cover restrictions and ask if they have any other restrictions they would want me to follow… I then follow up with an email to that person confirming what we agreed… usually include my registration… this has worked for a lot of places… including Ft George. Edinburgh Castle. Barry Buddon Ranges. RAF Leuchars and even the SBAs in Cyprus… there are some that still say no…

1 Like

Thanks buddy is there an easy way of speaking to an ops officer?

Generally call the camp and ask… some are easier than others… if you can’t get Ops there is often a security officer… ask at guard room if you get totally stuck…

I shall give it a go thanks buddy.