Morecambe's Illuminations

Morecambe used to have Illuminations, not the same scale as Blackpool but nicer (that’ll wind up the neighbours :joy:). They faded out around the same time as the town did.

They’re trying to get them back starting with a few decorations on the promenade and illuminating the well known buildings. Last night the atmosphere was cold & misty so I took the Mini 2 for a flight.

Photos have only been cropped, no other edit.

4 Likes

My late brother in law was from Bowness on Windermere and he always called Morecambe the “cemetery with lights”!

I live in an area where the joke is you have to be over 80 to live here. If you spend an hour in the micropub on the shopping street, the driving & parking you’d see would make you think it’s more like 90. I was looking at the local Covid stats and they show all sorts of data including average age, around 50 which really surprised me. It’s not the old-age town it used to be and we’ve stopped going out to watch the traffic lights change :joy:

I did a job in the Eric Morecambe Old Folks home one day, the lady in charge said Eric was due to offiicially open it on the day he died. RIP

1 Like