My first drone video

The main reason I bought a drone was to take video footage of my Irish Wolfhound - Rhys. This is a first attempt on the second time of flying the drone - its straight out of the drone without any editing other than cut and splicing together - loads to learn. :+1::+1:
Plan is to get the dog covered by Active Track - once I get him used to the sound of the drone - heā€™d be away down the beach if it wasnā€™t for my wife keeping him on the lead - heā€™s such a big wuss :joy::joy:

6 Likes

Hi Jhdee.
Hope you enjoy your new drone .
Just a little constructive advice .
Forget all the gimbal movements and zoom inā€™s as they are way to fast and spoil the vid . Just fly the drone nice and slow around your subject . Keep it nice and slow and pick your shoot . Keep it natural .
I know itā€™s your first go and fair play on that .
Hope i donā€™t sound negative .
Just trying to help you get better results .
Keep up the good work and enjoy the hell out of the drone .
And . That is one heck of a big hound lol

2 Likes

I am know where near a good drone pilot .But something like this .
Slow and easy .

2 Likes

@shane9377 - Hi Shane - many thanks for the advice - as you can see, I need as much help as I can get :smiley:. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense as I think Iā€™m trying to do too much all at the same time. As yet I have little to no confidence in just flying the drone let alone creating good video footage. Having watched your example, I fully get the advice of slow and easy. When I recorded the video, to me it was slow and easy but obviously the adrenaline rush of just flying had seriously clouded my judgement :smile:
Really need to use the zoom function as the hound is quite nervous of the noise. I guess the plan will be to use the drone fully zoomed prior to recording the shot. Then I can concentrate on the beautiful slow movements you suggest. Will also need to spend a lot more time just flying it to gain a level of confidence.
Many thanks for your comments - I now have a way forward :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Beautiful wolfhound!

1 Like

@Longstride - thank you very much - heā€™s the reason I got the drone. Iā€™d like to get some video of him running on the beach but I canā€™t keep up :joy: - so I intend to use the Active Track feature to do the hard work - all I now have to do is to learn to fly the thing properly :crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes

You will get it done .
Practice makes perfect as they say .
Donā€™t forget to upload the results ā€¦

Help and advice is what we are here for, to help each other, suggest things, but, not in a derogatory way.
May I suggest also that you look on Youtube to how to slow down your Yaw Rates, and Gimbal Speed, this will also help slow things down and look more cinematic.
As has been suggested, flying slowly is the trick, try Tripod Mode that will give great slow movements in virtually any direction.
Experimentation is the key here, itā€™s what works for you, and looks good into the bargain.
Youtube is a mine of information, for people who are new to drones.
To learn to fly it properly, just get into field and practice simple movements, flying a square ,a rectangle, a triangle, circle.
always fly with the rear of the drone towards you for awhile, then you can see what the stick controls do when moved left, right, up, down
you will soon master it !
P.S. Love the dog !.

Try ā€œSport Modeā€ !

@chrisjohnbaker - many thanks for the suggestions Chris. Iā€™ve spent time on Youtube checking how to adjust gimbal rates etc and the use of tripod mode but it all goes out of my head as soon as I get to flying. Guess Iā€™m going to have to use a little note book - yeah I know - Iā€™m getting old.
Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll eventually get there but it could be quite some time before I become a ā€œcinematic Godā€ - if ever :joy:

Go to the ā€œMember Only Areaā€, I have several useful Documents that may be of help to you in ā€œGADC Member Information Packā€ it will make your flying experience a little less traumatic!.
In there are a variety of papers, including a Mavic Operators Checklist that several people have found useful as a reference, to remind them of what to do , and , when.

1 Like

WOW - @chrisjohnbaker thank you so much for the heads up - Iā€™d not yet ventured into the Members Only area. Youā€™re a gem - thank you :+1::+1::+1:

No worries John, It is always useful to have a few of the ā€œOfficialā€ documents in your flight bag, just in case some ā€œknown it allā€ confronts you.
There are also some useful Apps for your phone, which are very handy to have.
I also advise getting Public Liability Insurance, which will cost you about Ā£20 per year from FPVUK, it covers you against causing damage to anybodyā€™s property, etc.
Well worth it !, and shows that you are a responsible Flyer, who is serious about our Hobby.
Happy Flying !!!

1 Like

The apps I already have but the insurance is sound advice - thatā€™s next weekā€™s pocket money spent :+1:

1 Like

I put 50p a week away from me pension ! LOL :wink:

2 Likes