National Highways Safety Alert re: Parrot Anafi

I thought you may be interested in the attached safety alert from National highways (formerly Highways England), relating to a Parrot Anafi drone that seems to have misbehaved.

NHa303 National Highways for Action Safety Alert - Drones Incident - Parrot Anafi.pdf (214.9 KB)

No one was hurt, and it seems like the cause is currently unknown. If I hear any more about this, I will post an update.

1 Like

Not much to go on there especially as the forced landing seemed to work. Confused why they arenā€™t conducting further tests on itā€¦

My assumption is that they will carry out tests once the AAIB have released itā€¦ I guess they do not want to ā€˜contaminateā€™ the evidence by doing anything with it until AAIB have given the go ahead?

Sounds like an Anafi prop failure. The props develop cracks from the mounting screw bore and propagate to failure in fatigue - so not visible externally. Understand the cracks can be seen if you use a blue laser light. Lowest time Iā€™ve heard to failure is 14 hours. On the Anafi Pilots forum there are a few threads covering this subject so its not unknown problem.

1 Like

Attached a photo of the cracked prop hub using blue laser light to detect ā€¦

Is that a known problem with DJI drones too? I check mine visually before each flight, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d see that !!

It appears to be fairly common on Anafi drones. You wouldnā€™t see it on a DJI drone as the prop is not transparent. Donā€™t believe it is common DJI drones generally. The Anafi props always worry me - looks like theyā€™ve been grafted on from a dragonfly - very lightweight and pliable. There are also some reports of props not being able to move when the centre screw is tightened - an obvious no-no :flushed:

PLEASE NOTE ā€“ if using a blue laser light DO NOT shine it directly into your eyes - it can cause severe, usually permanent damage.

1 Like

@BudgieUK the bit ā€œresulting in the aircraft coming to a halt in a nearby treeā€ made me chuckle, when I cocked up (not a Parrot) mine just ā€˜hit a treeā€™ LOL