National Trust Policy Correspondence

Hi @firstadekit its a Wedding so presumably yes and would hope the public were kept away so not aimlessly wandering about

2 Likes

You would think so, but I’ve shot weddings in NTS & Historic Scotland properties where they were still open to the public and only a small part had been closed off for the wedding.

@Drumsagard thsts good to hear thanks let’s hope so

1 Like

Dear Me!!!
Thoughts

2 Likes

If you have a DJI Mini, tell them to “burger off” and fly anyway. . . . :rofl:

3 Likes

Plan “B” to keep my client happy its a once in a life time wedding
TOAL from an adjacent property 50M + get some footage, then use a pole on the day with the Mavic Pro 2 mounted on Katana rig or Go Pro Hero 8 black to get some elevated footage
@seahunter the best i could talk to was the Food & Beverages Manager you can imagine the conversation dear me! they have not got a clue, I think most responsible hobbyists have FPV Insurance at a minimum I just find the reply email rubbish.
I gave them all my qualifications Ops Manual, Insurance and specified “Mini 2” I think a helicopter or light plane taking images would cause more damage than a sub 250g drone if it came down Rant over!

4 Likes

Or an Insta360 on a 3m or longer pole :wink:

As you say do the B roll in advance from the path

Complete bastards the lot of them

5 Likes

Just when you think you’ve seen it all the “food and beverages team leader” tells you that you can’t fly your drone there :grimacing:

How did they even get assigned that email to deal with?!

Is Plan A to just take off from outside the venue without asking anyone anything? It’s a safe bet the food and beverages team leader will be otherwise engaged in, well, you know, their actual job.

3 Likes

Overpriced beer and nibbles

3 Likes

You wouldn’t go to Curry’s and expect to be given advice on the latest laptop from the person responsible for maintaining the suspended ceiling in the building.

NT are big enough (and you’d have hoped, clever enough) to at least be able to assign an email correctly to the relevant department :pensive:

As a hobbyist it just infuriates me that we have to contend with this bullshit :confused:

5 Likes

You forget this is @Mungmeister Mark’s job, which makes it even more infuriating

1 Like

You’d get better advice from them so I’m all for that :ok_hand:t2:

Sorry back on topic now :rofl:

That’s correct it is infuriating, but I kept my cool and professional, and asked if she had any idea what I was talking about regarding the flight plan or anything to do with drones she replied with a big fat NO! and told me her manager had told her to say all that in the email, I said is it ok to bring an extendable ladder and place it against the building to get some high level shots, she replied it’s just drones they have a problem with, so working at height is ok
No wonder NT is losing members by the score employing uneducated jobs worth’s 2nd rant over

2 Likes

Part of plan B is to get permission from a very local tenant to take off from their property with permission and fly the hell out of Dunham Massey video coming soon legally!!

1 Like

Wait. What. They will let you put a ladder against a building that they are so precious about that a drone might hit and damage! Not only that they are willing to put the h&s of you at risk on a ladder rather than use a drone.

The mind boggles.

6 Likes

They really are a bunch of completely clueless muppets.

I’d have gone on one of my belligerent rants at them about overflight, photography privacy laws etc.

And then probably regretted it when it came to being allowed actual access to the site :smiley:

Ask them what policies and SSoW they have in place regarding contractor/visitor working at height on NT property :wink:

2 Likes

To be honest I mentioned about the ladder being sarcastic to see what response I would get and just as I thought anything but the dreaded drone, I think management would have something to say if I rocked up with a 3 piece extension lol

1 Like

Do it you have written permission i see it going like this

:rofl:

3 Likes

This is an article in the Trusts magazine and how they are using the latest technology.

5 Likes

For those of you wishing to fly over National Trust property, or similar, and outside FRZ or other restricted areas, please feel free to start collecting videos under the Sustainable Habitat Information Project (SHIP). Anybody can self-identify as a SHIP member, no approval needed. (non-commercial volunteers only please - feel free to tag any interesting social media posts with #SHIP2022)

For courtesy, SHIP recommends sending advance notice to any affected parties. In this case, if like me you operate a <250g drone, feel free to edit and send the letter below (used for example below with the Wimpole Estate in Cambridgeshire) to allay any concerns by people as they see drones flying overhead.

Dear Estate Manager,

I am a volunteer contributing to a non-commercial project (SHIP) which is studying the interaction of the habitat of animals and plants in relation to human activity . I operate a small drone, operating up to 120m, to collect video recordings and information about radiant flux density in the visible spectrum.

During June 2022, I will be operating in the airspace around and above the Wimpole Estate. I do not require access to National Trust land to undertake my flights. I have been registered as a UAS Operator by the CAA, and operate under CAP722, as amended following “Unmanned aircraft (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020” in open A1 sub-category.

Images I capture are likely to include people, animals and structures on the Wimpole Estate, incidental to this survey. I intend to comply with all relevant privacy and other laws, and intend to minimize any impact or distraction.

I have no obligation to notify you of overflights, as I am sure you are aware. I am informing you of this activity so that if a drone is observed flying overhead this summer, the reason for its presence could be legal, and not be as a result of somebody on National Trust property breaking your rules.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me by email: SHIP@komplainr.com

Ray
Sustainable Habitat Information Project

6 Likes