Need some help before i destroy my new drone

Hi Folks,

Hope anyone reading this is good and well considering the current covid situation.

I’m new here and new to drones. I have just bought and tested my Walkera f210 drone.

I now realise this is probably not the best drone to get for my very first drone as I nearly lost it and killed it within 2 minutes of testing, didn’t realise the power of it and how hard it would be to control as a novice.

So… guess what i’m asking is what would be a good starter fpv drone that i could buy for £100 ish. I have a devo 7 controller so it needs to be able to bind to this without me having to do any sort of updates or firmware stuff as that will confuse the life out of me.

Any suggestions would be super helpful and please can you speak to me like im a baby without drone jargon as after reading a ton of stuff online im still confused by all the jargon and just trying to get used to all the terms etc.

Oh and I have Fatshark dominator v3 goggles with Furious trued receiver which I bought second hand on ebay.

I have been looking at various eachine mini racer drones etc but I don’t know if they will bind to my controller

Just practise in a large empty field. It takes time.
I think you can get an adaptor for your controller too so you can use a simulator on a computer. This will help you loads.

1 Like

Hi Colin

You have jumped in the deep end :wink:

The Furious 210 is probably not the ideal choice as a 1st FPV quad, especially if you accidentally enable the reversing motor capability by accident :scream:

There’s not a lot out there that will natively bind to the Devo7, BUT, if you can find a “Bind to Fly” Walkera Rodeo 110, which will bind to your Devo7 you’ll find that even though it’s racy little bugger it will be much more suited to learning with, and it can take a battering. I have one in my collection and it is a fun little flyer. The problem is you may have a bit of a wait finding one at a sensible price, they tend to go for stupid money on eBay/Amazon, etc. To give you a guide I bought a brand new RTF Rodeo 110, with battery, charger, and Devo7, last year for £90 so I’d be reluctant to pay more than £70 for just the quad brand new.

If you see your interest progressing I might suggest you look at taking the plunge on a new transmitter as this will greatly expand your options. The Jumper T16 pro is a lot of radio for the money (£139 from most UK suppliers) and will last you a lifetime. Prices may also drop as Jumper are about to release the T18 and Radiomaster have just released the T16s which is a big quality step up. As these radios are multiprotocol they will bind to just about anything out there, including your Furious 210 when you’re ready. Couple a T16 with any of the sub £100 Brushless micro quads and you’ll be well on your way.

Nidge.

1 Like

Just to echo what @Nidge has said the Walkera devo is a pain in the … however the jumper t16pro (which was my recommendation) is no longer my recommendation. The jumper t18 or the radiomaster t16s which both should have a better build quality.

Other than that sim time will save you many many broken parts and misery. Also well worth (when this nightmare is over) finding your local fpv fliers who will be able to teach you loads

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. The Devo7 came with the walkera that’s why I have that one, can i ask what’s the difference between Devo7 and the ones you recommend?

Can you possibly give me the basics on what I need to know about transmitters and why some will control certain aircraft but not others, i’m keen to learn.

Do you think it would be a good option to buy something cheap that comes with its own transmitter already, i was looking at one from Eachine the e58 that was around £60 that had a button to take off and land itself etc. or is it likely it wouldn’t not to be good enough build quality.

Different manufacturers use different protocols in there radios (but like languages so one speaks french the other German) the advantages of the jumper and the radio masters is they speak many languages so will bind to nearly anything.

I would suggest that you grab a transmitter like the ones recommended and start with a sim. This will teach your fingers how to fly

What do you mean by sim? Like on a computer?

kind regards,

Colin

Yes exactly

Take a look at curry kittens sim. It’s aimed at being super simple and runs on most hardware

There is also velocidrone and liftoff on steam

1 Like

Awesome, i will give it a try

kind regards,

Colin

Flight Simulator

You can probably download CK’s simulator and start using it straight away with your Devo7.

On the back of the Devo7 is a small jack socket, this is what’s usually referred to as the trainer port. What this actually outputs is an audio signal, more specifically a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) audio signal. You can connect this to the mic or line input of your PC’s sound card and using such utilities as PPJOY and/or SMARTPROPOPLUS you can then emulate a serial input. The simulator will see the output of these utilities as a RC transmitter. I used to use this same method when I first started flying and using a free RC plane simulator called Clearview.

Regards

Nidge.

1 Like

the best way to learn is start of slowly, in that I mean learn to control your drone at low speed first, and dont try to emulate the people who have been flying for a while. on youtube there is a video of someone show a friend who had neve flown a drone before how to . im not sure which one it was but it was very good. I have a friend who is buying a £400 drone is says hes going to teach himself how to fly backward quickly , before he learn to control the drone. I see a crash wating to happen