Never took to the skies

Hi All,
This is my first post .
I have bought a Phantom 3 and have never flown a drone before, seen someone flying one whilst on holiday in yorks and was fascinated and spent many hours reading and watching you tube before taking the bullet. Any tips on how i start to learn and grow my new passion. I lIve nr Southport so not a ideal place find a suitable locations due to location, took the test on the 5th and passed so have my operator/flyer ID/.

3 Likes

Welcome @Joethedrone you will find all the help you need on Grey Arrows, the committee will be along soon to welcome you :+1:

Not 100% sure about the Phantom 3 but other DJI drones have a beginner mode which only allows you to go a certain distance and height (30m I think). I’d find a wide open field and fly in beginner mode. Most people stay on that mode for a few minutes and then turn it off as these drones are very easy to fly.

Make sure you are locked to at least 7 satellites before taking off.

Good luck.

1 Like

I stayed on beginner mode for DAYS :blush:

The Mavic Pro was the first thing I’ve ever flown in my life.

I was taking no chances :rofl:

Welcome to Grey Arrows @Joethedrone :+1:t2:

1 Like

Southport beach…

Interesting… I googled about Southport Beach but seen that the council have Prohibited Drones on any of its coastline , so thats confused me .

Thanks for the advice, still to do more research in to the Phantom. Just been looking at Youtube videos so far :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the advice, will keep the satelitte info to mind :slightly_smiling_face:

I have had 3 phantom 3 drones . They are great . Had more confidence in them than my mavic pro.

My P3A was definitely faster and more stable in the air (and easier to spot), great starter drone.

1 Like

After having a £30/40 toy drone for a couple of months I had the phantom 3 standard as my first proper drone. Couldn’t believe how well if flew and how easy it was to control. It’s a very decent starter drone. Anyway, welcome to the forum :+1:

Lot of things on the p3A I liked better than the mavic .the
focus tap on the mavic drives me mad . Lot better on the phantom .

Yeah, the focus tap is just another thing that can go wrong and mess up your shots.

Good decision then to buy that one. Many thanks

1 Like

Hi Joe,
I also live near Southport, in Ainsdale, right under the now extended runway centreline from Woodvale.
I have a Phantom 4 and a Spark so if you want to meet for a chat I might be able to pass on my meagre knowledge.
Mecycle in Ainsdale is good place.

Hi
Im Jealous i wanted a P4 but opted for the P3. Im confused as i thought Sefton wouldnt allow any Drone activity near Woodvale and in Sefton. Yes would love to meet up sometime in Jan and grab any knowledge off you

Evening guys, I too live in Southport and would like to fly with someone who’s got a bit of experience and understands the regulations better than I do.

Been using drone assist but it confuses me. Everywhere seems to have some restriction or other.

I’ve found an open spot that’s quite deserted to practice but it’s been quite windy this week so haven’t pushed the left-stick forwards very much as I’m too scared it’ll end up in Ireland