DJI (Mavic) Air 2S mega thread

You raise a very good point, I wonder how long before the Goggles are supported on other DJI kit

3 Likes

All quiet on the 2S front, all out test flying ??

@ianinlondon @Brigadier :smirk:

7 Likes

Good 2 Go has been updated to support the new DJI Air 2S:

5 Likes

Unfortunately not mate.
Been busy today and SWMBO has been on my case.
More jobs tomorrow, but batteries are charged and all firmware installed.
OP ID / FlyerID stickers added, so with time off for good behaviour should hopefully get to fly sometime tomorrow.
Hate to admit it, but not exactly sure how to show flight logs, but should be able to give a review.
Not sure how effective that will be as I am excited to try out the new toy, so may be a little biased.
Rob

Busy boy… You wait for a shiny new drone to unbox and 2 come along on the same day…
And sadly didn’t get a chance to fly either today as didn’t get home until late afternoon.

Lots of fun to have this weekend! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Welcome to the Evo party :clap:t2:

The Evo mega thread is over here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you squire… :slight_smile:

1 Like

New toys there Ian,gonna be a fun weekend for you ,nice 1 :+1:

1 Like

GavinHR reporting issues with altitude readings

This could cause issues with RTH, and also lead to accidentally exceeding max allowed altitude :frowning:

DJI have done some off the cuff things over the last few months.

They closed down their North American Operations, possibly the rift between the the US and China may have something to do with this.

They started direct selling of their Enterprise products which for years was done exclusively by independent distributors, as was the service of Enterprise products.

No disrespect to those that have bought it but the release of the FPV Drone was bolloxed. The primary issue being the V2 goggles which many are still unable to register and use with existing Air units. They also sent an unprecedented amount of DJI FPV Drone packages to YouTube reviewers and influencers.

Refusing to play nicely with the Google Play Store and forcing users to side load the DJI-Fly APK.

Also they recently announced a very large list of their product portfolio that details their intentions to end production and support on this year.

If I squint between the lines I can’t but think that DJI might be having some sort of existential crisis. The time taken from the supposed initial leak :thinking: to release of the Air2 S was rather quick. One reason might be that because it’s not that much different to the Air2 they had all the parts to begin with. And for European owners it has to be a kick in the Love Spuds as to acquire the ADSB function as promised in the Air2 they have to spend the same again, if not more, for this novelty of a feature.

I’m inclined to think the opposite in some respects; are they feeling they’re such market leaders that they can literally do what they like? Users that knew and cared about the latest Android version downloaded the app from DJI.com; those that didn’t, didn’t, and their drones carried on working. Are they still selling in the USA? Defo. Are they still selling in Europe despite no classifications? Yep. No doubt this classifications rubbish is denting their sales but not ruining things. And their track record on launching things before they’re actually ready for launch is pretty much unparalled, and yet still they do and still people buy their stuff, even when not compatible with existing kit; frankly I’m amazed they’ve updated the Smart Controlelr to work with the Air2S.
It’s clear I do like DJI stuff because it generally produces outstanding video and pictures and has an incredible array of functionality at every level model, usually far surpassing the picture and video quality of its competitors. But I see their shortcomings and I absolutely share those frustrations. But still their sales continue…
Again, your average consumer just doesn’t know about these things; they just buy it because it’s easy to fly and gets great results…

4 Likes

Now, on a far more serious level, @PingSpike how about a new category of ‘maximum number of drones you’re flying at any one time’? Although considering all three remotes were on the table so I could hold the camera, maybe it could be argued I’m not actually flying all three Mavic Airs here…
:rofl:

7 Likes

Met police officer who recovered stash of stolen drones on unpaid leave after being caught flying the drones!

4 Likes

Not a single one in VLOS either , or was Ted the spotter out :wink:

1 Like

I’ve heard people complain that the European model doesn’t have ADS-B airsense; my box says it has, the drone’s arm says it has, and I got asked just after switching on for the first time if I wanted to enable it…

7 Likes

I had a mirror above the camera m’lud…

3 Likes

Have you seen it working yet Ian.

I was out last week with the FPV and got the ‘manned aircraft nearby’ warning, very impressive stuff

2 Likes

No! Despite only being 20 miles from Stansted there’s so few flights, I haven’t had that pop up yet…
Maybe I’ll get Flight Radar up on the phone and then fire up the MA2S when is approaching… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another Youtuber reporting altimeter issues - after a 3min flight it was showing -6.7m altitude when at the point where it took off.

If the altitude reads low, someone could accidentally exceed the maximum allowed altitude. A fault which allows an owner to unknowingly break the law must be fixed by DJI as a matter of priority !

2 Likes

There’s always an issue on immediate release with any product, I normally try to wait a month or so for the kinks to be ironed out, seems like that should be an easy fix mind.

However, still not rushing out to buy this one :sweat_smile:

2 Likes