New DJI Smart Controller

Funnily enough, I’ve been looking at CrystalSky this last week as alternative to my phone. I lIke the idea of having something dedicated.

So the smart controller being launched today is a bit of boon. Have watched numerous vids already and yes it does look very good. Concerns are/were with the screen size, my phone is the Galaxy S9+ at 6.2" but its very letterboxy (tall but v narrow) but the screen on the new controller appears more box like and better proportioned and I like the fact its going to be pretty bright too.

Though I’ve added it to the list, I think i’ll try to sit on this over the next 3-6 months (if I can last 6 weeks!) to see the reviews / feedback come in.

:+1:

2 Likes

Yeah agree!

1 Like

I seem to remember,somewhere,that occusync 2 is backward compatible with occusync 1,as someone said that you may well be able to use a mavic 2 controller with a mavic 1…think it is just a firmware update?So would not be supprised if it will be able to be used with a mavic 1.as for the mavic air and spark,doubtful,although the new controller does have WiFi…Anyway i most likely will buy one,after i have seen a few reviews,but also it then means it will not fit in my hardcase!!!:neutral_face::neutral_face:As an added bonus,it also means i will have a spare controller,always nice to have a backup,just in case!

4 Likes

Occusync 2 uses both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band where occusync 1 is purely 2.4GHz.

Standard DJI goggles which were designed for occusync 1 can connect to mavic 2 through 2.4GHz band.

You’d think with the controller having both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz tuners there’s not really any reason they couldn’t have made the controller backwards compatible.

3 Likes

That was exactly my thought! :confused:

1 Like

I am willing to bet that it will support the mavic 1 at some point,and i think it will also solve the range issue with the goggles:+1::+1:

1 Like

… make me poorer. :wink:

3 Likes

LOL Thats you and me both!!!:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I would be even better if it was even Compatible to the Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2.
Maybe asking a lot there, if that was to be the case , I would get it !

Does the Air use Occusync?

No,but as far as know the controller does have WiFi:,so maybe a “remote” possibility!There was even someone who said you may be able to fly a Tello with it!. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Not sure, I think it is WiFi, but uses both 2.4 and 5.8 .

1 Like

To confess I find the Air more stable, with less signal dropout, and interference when set at 5.8.
Set at 2.4 is crap, as I found out in Lincoln last Sunday !.
Gonna go back and force it to stay in 5.8, in future !

At the end of the day,if it has WiFi 2.4 and 5.8,and runs on android,surely it can be programmed to do lots of things,and support all mavics and also most of the phantom range…DJI have a golden opportunity to make a lot of customers happy!!:+1::+1:

I think its the frequency of the transmission & receiving that would be critical, not the operating system so much.

Given DJI’s history, they’re probably gonna use their newer drones as guinea pigs and iron out the creases before releasing an update or two for the Mavic Pro and Air and who knows what else.

Would seem incredibly daft to miss that huge user base.

3 Likes

Agreed,i think this may well be a multi controller,which will be great,get this and use for a number of your DJI dronesALSO you maybe could just buy the drones you want without a controller,and use this,could save some dosh,in the long run.:+1:

3 Likes

I cannot believe that the Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro do not use the same Occusync system !.
That would be yet again another turn in another direction for DJI.
here’s Hoping !

Just for you Guys Info !.

Mavic Air Operating Frequencys
2.400 - 2.4835 GHz
5.725 - 5.850 GHz

MAVIC PRO Operating Frequencys
2.4-2.4835 GHz
5.725-5.850 GHz

Mavic 2 Operating Frequencys
2.400 - 2.483 GHz
5.725 - 5.850 GHz
Not a lot in it !

Cheers Chris,just what i thought,guess @OzoneVibe will be a bit short of cash soon…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:

2 Likes