New Drone Owner from Oxfordshire 👋

Hi everyone,

I’ve just taken delivery of my first drone, a Parrot Anafi, though not had chance to take it for much of a spin as yet due to constant rain/wind. I chose this model due to the fact that it’s pretty quiet and small compared to others but with a good camera. I read some decent reviews but would be interested to hear others’ thoughts, particularly from other owners.

General internet searching led me here and I’ve already picked up many new tips for flying so thanks for that. Looking forward to getting some flights under my belt and will be sticking around to pick up new knowledge about all things drone related (which until recently I knew very little about).

I’m based in South Oxfordshire so any tips on the area would be appreciated, though I’ve already seen some good posts from others in the area. I’ll only be flying for fun and a bit of photography.

Cheers all,
AD

3 Likes

Hi Andrew @AndrewD, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

Quite a few of our members also own the Anafi … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Hi Andrew and welcome to Grey Arrows :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the group :+1:

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

you’re very close to me. Head up to the car park on the Ridgeway above East Hendred for some wide open space. Walk straight on rather than left/right along the Ridgeway. Culham Lock is another good place and down by the Thames at Streatley.

Let me know if you need any pointers. I’m not familiar with the Parrot but all the principles are the same.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @AndrewD

1 Like

Welcome Andrew to a friendly Forum we call home!.
Turn the telly off!, pull up a chair to the Computer Desk.
Kick the Wife up to bed, and , join in the chit chat !.
Seriously, a Big welcome from one of the boys.
Please don’t be frightened to ask any questions about your Anafi, someone will chirp in with and answer, or give you some solid advice.
We all started from where you are with taking delivery of our first drone.
It’s not so daunting as it may seem, but, before you lift off into the wide blue yonder, study a few videos, and practice basic movements in a wide open space, so you get use to how it flies.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,
Welcome to the forum.

I’m a newbie to drone flying as well.
Learning on a second hand Mavic Air.
Just been checking out the specs on the Anafi.
Wow! Quite a drone you have there.

I hope you have many happy ‘none crash’ hours with it.

I would have been lost without some members taking me under their wings. They even helped and advised with buying the Mavic.

I hope some of the members help you as well.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for the welcome everyone and for the pointers! :+1:

Thanks Lee, yes looks like you are just down the road according to the map. I will be sure to check those places out!

Hi Boydey, thanks. Yes I did a fair bit of research and it was between this and the Air as I think they are very similar in terms of spec and price. I made a compromise on lack of obstacle avoidance in favour of a slightly quieter drone and the fully rotating camera, so I’ll need to hone my flying skills pretty quickly :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Andrew,
If you get any nice shots do post them, especially with the 90 degree upwards shots you can take.

Be interested to know if the rotas show on lesser gimbal rotations, as they do with the Mavic!

Welcome, Andrew, from the very north of Oxfordshire!

1 Like

Hi Andrew. I have the Anafi and phantom 3 pro.
I fly the Anafi lots more. It’s loads quieter than the Air and phantom.
The props are never in shot, fly with your phone in Airplane mode, you get no interference issues then.
You can fly it in areas you wouldn’t dream of flying with any DJI drone due to its quiet flight.
It’s a cracking drone and you made a great choice.
Mines insured with Icarus insurance.

2 Likes

Thanks Trucklord, yes I must say the volume was one of the main attractions for me, when I saw videos on YouTube I couldn’t believe how quiet it was, and it’s sort of a different pitch to the Mavics which I think makes a big difference.

Thanks for the insurance tip, just had a quick look and seems to be very reasonable. Would someone like me need the public liability or is that more for commercial work where you’re more likely to be flying near people/buildings?

I have the public liability because i’m a BMFA member already.
Accidents happen, just decide if you can afford to pay out for any damage your lightweight drone may cause if it fell from the sky.
Not sure of the cost for you, but worth looking at.
It also helps if you are challenged anywhere by ‘drone police’ I have 25million cover i think from memory, ask them if they have that for any of their hobbies?
Cheers

1 Like

Hi @AndrewD! I’m an Anafi owner as well but I’m based well outside of the UK now. Can assure you the anafi is a great bird and we’ve been using it at our end for some broadcast level work as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes