New Drone to fly near Bath /Corsham area

Impulse bought Holystone HS120D Amazon prime day, as it looks cool & pretty, & described as ok for adult beginners. I’m total Novice so thats all i know… Was let to fly a drone once by some enthusiasts, ive hadit out the box paired it and calibrated, it said insufficient gos indoors, not yet been outside & tried a test flight, thinking maybe the golf course when deserted? Be great to meet up online or somewhere with people who know how to fly the thing😂…

2 Likes

Welcome Delia, I pretty sure someone else on here has a Holystone so may be able to offer advice.

That’s uncanny.

I just posted a video of my first landing ever in a Private field in Corston, TODAY.

If I could help with the flying I would but this was my first ever flight.
Google Holy Stone and your model or similar. Watch the YouTube videos and believe in the drone…it works. I set a 100m distance and 140ft height max in the app before I took off but TBH if your not sure take yout hands off, let it (or probably you) settle down and if needs be hit the RTH button.

Not sure about the Golf Course as it is private land but you could always apologise and run away if caught!!

1 Like

Great your flight went so well good idea to watch the videos I’m the type reading instructions is last resort but drones are complex for first time user I got halfway through setting up at home that’s progress & still don’t know if need SD card or if it will save the video on the I phone without one

The app will record the images/video footage but the sd card is the safest way of getting the ‘true’ video from the camera, video with no glitches. £6 on amazon for a class10 32gig card. It’s well worth it.

I

I have a mac mini i can prob plug an sd card into but its mothballed just now and i’m only using phone and i pad i guess no way to transfer the sd card files onto phone or i pad direct from controller? ( im noT v technical…)

I can’t help with Iphone, I’m just not sure but if it’s a later Android you can get a USB to go (UTG) lead. This can then be used with a card reader to read the sd card with the phone. The app will record the video though so all isn’t lost.

Thanks, so can use without s d card for now i guess? Not expecting much of first videos anyway, just want to get the drone working at all and see something , i will demothball the mac eventually, Think phone will only accept Stuff by wi fi Or mobile

This should give you an idea of what you get through the app

1 Like

I’m in Larkhall… Which sounds like your area? Happy to meet and chat. There’s a great sports ground near me I use for practice, off London Road East

That would be great , think i know it, i go to alice park a lot with dogs could maybe meet outside cafe i could bring my drone its supposed to be ok fir beginners i sent off for a second battery as only had one in box not supposed to actually fly them in the park i think but can sit and talk about it there

I contacted the flying club at norton st philip i will join They seem very good And went over Was shown how to set it up but too windy and wet to fly that day

1 Like

Hi Delilah, the best way is to find an empty field away from people and trees if possible. Initially just practice the controls gently. Usually the drones are set up:
Left Stick:
Forward is up
Back towards you is down
Left is rotate anticlockwise
Rightis rotate clockwise

Right Stick:
Forward is fly forward
Back towards you is fly backward
Left is fly sideways towards the left (front of drone facing away from you)
Right is fly sideways to the right (again with the front of drone facing away from you)

Please note the right and left reverse as the drone is coming back to you, in that flying left or right is still relative to the drone and not your left and right