New EASA drone rules - 1 July 2020 - Discussion

Just got this via Google notifications:

5 Likes

This is very useful, thank you

Some highlights / notable / summary points from that Heliguy post:

• The changes will come into play from Wednesday, July 1, 2020

• Any operator of a drone which weighs less than 250g but has a camera (other than a toy), such as the new DJI Mavic Mini, must also be registered

• The PfCO will be replaced by an Operational Authorisation

• The new rules do away with the limitations and ambiguity around commercial and non-commercial drone operations, and will instead be based around the type of drone you have and where you fly it

• Under the new changes, three categories of operations will be introduced:
    – Open Category: Low-risk operations will not require any authorisation, but will be subject to strict operational limitations.
    – Specific Category: For medium-risk operations, operators will have to require an authorisation from the national aviation authority on the basis of a standardised risk assessment or a specific scenario.
    – Certified Category: In case of high-risk operations, classical aviation rules will apply.

1 Like

So a ‘toy’ Hubsan H107C (40 grams) which costs around £20 would require registration with the CAA and the £9 annual fee?

1 Like

It says “ other than a toy “ in their article, I was trying to avoid copying verbatim for the majority of our hobbyist members.

I’ve edited my post to include it.

2 Likes

Yes

People are probably wondering what defines a drone as a toy.

This was part of the draft proposals back in 2015. I’ll try find something more current.

Proposal 15: Additional requirements for CAT A0: ‘Toys’ and ‘mini drones’ < 1 kg:
— Any drone sold as a toy or consumer product with a mass below 1 kg could comply with the applicable prod‑
uct safety Directive and shall have limited performance to assure flight below 50 m above ground and local
operation or alternatively the means to automatically limit the altitude and the airspace they can enter.
— Operation shall be performed below 50 m above ground.

1 Like

What’s not mentioned much is the fact that drones over 900g can not be flown over people.

They also cant be flown close to people in A2 without passing a practical test at an NQE which PfCO guys have already done.

So if you own a mavic 2, phantom or inspire your restricted to flying in subcat A3, well away from people.

2 Likes

I’m getting an mp2 for Christmas but I have a pfco so what does that mean

Its subject to change mate but the current proposal would mean you would need to sit a practical test at a NQE to fly close to people.

You’ve already done that so wouldnt affect you.

1 Like

So I am allowed to fly by people

Actually that slide is slightly different to the draft proposals and mentions you would only need to sit a test if you intend to fly close to people.

Hopefully it stays that way as it would allow M2 owners to fly as they currently do, just not over people.

2 Likes

I thought that with a pfco you were allowed to still

I’m really not sure to be honest mate as its changed so much.

Going by the slide, drones over 900g cant fly over people.

Having the PfCO might be different as that is for the open category.

With a PfCO and ops manual you should be a to fly in the specific category.

1 Like

Ok that fine then because an MP2 is less than 900 grams

Unfortunately the mp 2 is 907 grams ?

3 Likes

Ok what category is it in?

That’s correct unfortunately.

There was a big kick off on its release. People couldnt understand why DJI would bring out a drone 7 grams over the limit when they had been working with EASA since the draft regs in 2015.

2 Likes

Haha :joy:

The class for an M2P will be C2.

What category it can fly in depends on if you can satisfy the conditions for that cat and if not you move down one.

2 Likes