New Forest

I should have said that the LFR/SOAC (obviously) apply to all visitors to Scotland - plenty of great places to fly up here, so you’re all welcome to visit us :wink:

6 Likes

It is on my list! :+1:

2 Likes

This is maddening. I use NATS as my first research tool for flight locations. Just this weekend I drove to a scenic lookout that I’d spotted by road and car not far from me and when I arrived it turned out to be National Trust land. As it happened, when I looked up there were loads of Red Kites so I wouldn’t have been able to fly anyway. But there really is a market for an app for the compliant flier that covers not just the NATS stuff but known by-laws, Crown Estates etc.

2 Likes

I’m sure the bylaw is up to date. But check. I was given this by Coventry city council regarding drone usage last year. It was written before the first moon landing.
City of Coventry Byelaws 1.pdf (1.3 MB)

3 Likes

:rofl:

Just going back to the Foresty Commission Byelaws for the new Forrest, they should be taken to task for the inaccuracy of describing what the byelaws actually say.

Acts Prohibited on the Lands of the Commissioners
5. No person shall in or on the lands of the Commissioners:- (note it does not say over)

xxiii. operate any aircraft, glider, hot-air balloon, boat, raft or craft or any kind, or any model aircraft, boat or car;

If it was over they would be trying to ban any aircraft flying over!!!

Yet the website states that ,

The use of drones, or UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) are not permitted on or over New Forest Crown land as part of our [byelaws]

The byelaws clearly do not cover flying over

4 Likes

Fight!!!

The law can be an ass

I ignore asses! #sorted :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hi Brian,

I’m aware that this is a bit dated and yes I’ve carried out a number of flights within the area, my intentions is that over the weekend I’m writing to the relevant authorities on this matter.

Their last update was in September 2018 which as we all know we all had to get registered with the CAA by October/November 2019, which in my mind puts their last publication out of date.

If you watched the parliamentary select committee’s issue on drones the guy (can’t recall his name) from NATS state that all drone users came under the three c’s Careless, Clueless and Criminal.

I interpreted what the forestry commission state in their document is the same!!

As far as I’m aware they may well own the land but they do not own the air above it.

For what it’s worth I have just received my permit to fly my drone on the disused airfield at Beaulieu in the New Forest. There is a model club based there that providing you have your CAA credentials and membership of the BFMA demonstrating insurance they will sell you a permit for £11 inc P&P to fly on the old airfield. It’s a bit of a journey so I will need to make it part of a day out but at least a guaranteed open space to fly. They do say the club is battling with the Forestry Commission who want to blanket ban drones and this may come into force in January, fingers crossed the stop the FC from doing this. Obviously I will share the space with other aircraft, but as an ex model helicopter pilot I’m happy to see what else is flying. While I miss the challenge of flying my old Concept, I don’t miss the repair bills and running costs, drones clearly have their advantages!

Congratulations on getting your permit. I was told via email a couple of years ago that the land doesn’t lend itself to drone flying so my request was refused. I may try again

A bit of a thread resurrection - and my first post, so hi all.

Does anyone here fly their drone in the New Forest. Has there been any known issues, or has anyone been tackled by anyone in officaldom, from the Forestry Commission?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve not tried it because it’s quite clear they do not want to give permission without reason that goes beyond recreational. It’s based on the roaming wild animals, nesting seasons and general amount of other visitors.
I did write and and ask but permission was denied as below. So at that point I quit trying.

Thank you for your detailed enquiry for permission to fly a drone in the New Forest.

Please be advised the Forestry Commission Byelaws prohibits the use of any kind of model aircraft or drones over the New Forest Crown land. The Byelaws are in place to enable Forestry England, as the responsible land manager, to protect the internationally important SSSI, wildlife and ecology of the New Forest. Permission may be granted only in unique circumstances for the use of drones, for scientific research, or operational procedures for example.

And this

It’s a bit of a pain in the New Forest, though I understand their general concern.

For practice flying, I go to the beach at Milford (at a quiet time) - the New Forest National Park boundary crosses Hurst Spit, so take-off is from the west of that.

Their web page about permission to fly drones was updated yesterday (27th October 2021). I was down in the New Forest yesterday and checked prior to leaving about drone flying as I was going to take my Mini 2. I’ve posted the link again for ease.

There is quite clear guidance now I feel. Plus a form to fill in for permissions. But it seems unless you are filming for a documentary or scientific research it’ll be a no. Plus no drones allowed from 1st Feb through to 31st August because of the ground nesting birds. There may also be a fee to pay, depending on why you’re flying. Cheeky buggers.

Having popped down there yesterday I can fully understand their stance. There was so much wildlife around flying a drone would probably be unwise. Even if the shots would be amazing. I saw pigs, highland cattle, horses, birds of all descriptions and two Apaches. :grin:

So DSLR’s only for the foreseeable in the New Forest it seems.

I’m surprised to see that this doesn’t correlate on Drone Scene though. With all overlays on it would appear I can go and fly in the New Forest based on that.

My Dad and I were members at Beaulieu in the late 60’s and early 90’s, Dad and I still live local to the airfield but have not been able to see anyone flying there for a while, either they have long since passed away, or have been restricted to winter months only, I do miss going there to watch the model aircraft fly, sometimes when they crash, see the scatter of balsa wood blowing past like tumbleweed in a western, seeing the the determination on the faces of the flyers as they patch up their aircraft in hope to fly again, it was a great time for many, we had many picnics, Mum sat in the car knitting to her hearts content. I now want to go back to fly the Mavic Air 2 to get some wonderful aerial views of the area as long as a permit allows me to do so.

I did however take my robotic eagle in the forest, on one occasion a friendly bird watcher came over thinking he saw a rare bird flapping above me, he saw the funny side and asked if it was ok to show the film to his fellow bird watchers claiming he had seen the rare bird.

I live nearby and visit the New Forest most weeks, usually for walks and photography.

I often carry my drone with me, and if the conditions are right, and there are no people within sight or visible animals, I might do a few quick photos from 30m up to see above the trees. I’ve very much gone with the policy of not being spotted, although on still days it’s harder not to be heard. So far though, no grief, and no moans on my hashtagged Instagram posts.

I do sympahise with their policy, especially on the wildlife disturbance angle. The forest is a unique natural habitat and home to many rare species. The same is true of the nearby Solent coast, where wild birds from diminishing populations spend their rest and feeding time. These all need their space to thrive.

So, I go with considerate mindful flying, and save my more extended zipping about for other places.

I think, while it’s not sticking to the requirements that what you say is reasonable in a practical sense.
Their rules aren’t in touch with the current laws on under 250g for sure (i.e. DJI mini).
I’d like to see them open up a little by understanding drone hazards and even if they insist on some kind of permit system where you (as a non commercial flyer) know without question what you are fully responsible for, can be identified by your area flight times easily and perhaps still restrict certain areas and times of year.
Ideas such as lunch and landing areas, minimum flying height etc…???
Just something that provokes the responsible behaviour to be ever present should surely be enough.

Hi Phantom41 , I’m a new boy , where is this map from please ?

Hi @HampshireFlyer, and welcome to GADC :wave:t2:

Why not nip over the introductions page and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself.

This thread is a rather old one, and the person you replied to has not been active on here in some time.

The source of that specific map - I’m not certain, but our own Drone Scene has similar information (and a lot more that’s useful for a drone pilot … but only for subscribed members.