New Member at moment in USA

New Member brydette, Arriving Telford from USA on Dec 18th.
Been flying drones for photograhy Jobs (Architecture), inspections for past 7 yrs and hold the FAA Drone License for commercial work. Woulds be interested to know if its recognised in UK.

Simple answer - unfortunately no!

1 Like

Hi @Brydette :wave:t2:

Are you moving to the UK? Or just visiting?

If just visiting, is it business or pleasure?

Your FAA paperwork isn’t recognised in any country other than USA to my knowledge.

Here in the UK you’ll need to register yourself with the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority). Check it out:

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/

The CAA make no distinction between a recreational flight and a commercial flight, the regulations are the same. However, if you’re wishing to fly in a commercial aspect you simply need to get some insurance. This is a available from a variety of suppliers, some even offer it by the hour, which is ideal in some cases.

2 Likes

Further to @PingSpike, here in the UK unless you are flying the Mini2 (or weight equivalent) or you pass a course, the A2CofC (A2 Certificate of Competence), your flying is severely limited to no closer horizontally than 150 metres (413 feet) from any person or building not under your control.

The A2CofC reduces that distance to 50 metres (138 feet) and can be conducted with several training organisations on-line for around GBP80. There will be quite a lot of overlap between what you have already have covered with the FAA qualification (eg meteorology, principles of flight, safety, etc.) so you should be able to complete the course with one week. If you take the on-line option there is an on-line supervised exam at the end but the course includes the ability to take mock exams to give you confidence for the real thing.

Another option would be to join one of the four model flying clubs in the UK able to grant their members access to what is called Article 16 which allows even better exemptions from the general rules but is only for recreational use only.

1 Like

ll Thanks to all members for info.
I will be in Madely Permanently. visiting States every so often.
Am looking foward to visiting and revisiting places in UK
Hopefully will meet some Telford Members in the near future.
Especially if they are Wolves or Liverpool supporters.

1 Like

Hi Brian - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Welcome mate, from the Black Country (other end of the M54) and a LFC supporter for the last 2 million years (or 59 if you want to be pedantic).
If you join FPVUK (£19.99 a year) and take the Article 16 test, I can carry out your flight test practical for you when ever you want.

John

3 Likes

Sorry had to laugh out load :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Hi Brydette, welcome to GADA and the U/K :+1:

1 Like

Thanks to all of you for your kind words I feel I shall really enjoy being back in Uk
and look forward to being a member of your online community. I already feel as though I am home now

1 Like

Did I miss something?

@Brydette - Brian, welcome. And enjoy driving over 55 mph :wink:

I travel many miles, main part of journeys on Highways, generally we are safe up to 79.99999mph, Guess its always possible to come across a bored Trooper I got a ticket 2nd week in States for 68 in 55 limit.
Also flying drone on jobs have been questioned by nosy indignant people, just tell them to call Cops if they have complaint. Guess thats the same everywhere

1 Like

Now in uk. After completing winter survival skills course, will contact you ref flying drone test if thats ok

No problem mate, anytime you’re ready
Happy New Year (bit early)