New Member from Aberdeen - WORST TIMING TO START FLYING

4 fucking wheels and a seat :wink:

2 Likes

And if you hate that, driving is not for you. Easier to sell on a Clio than a Merc… bigger audience.

Less depreciation too

Could be a long wait for the MP3? not heard anything about an announcement from DJI yet??

I think the Q3 initial rumours could well end up being later, but never say never

1 Like

We were asked for our opinion, I was just offering mine. it wasn’t meant to offend or make your blood boil.

1 Like

@GreyCat
Thank you for your message. I hadn’t even thought about any other drones like the Ryze Tello. I actually had to Google it to find out what it is but it looks like a sensible starting choice. What your trainers said make a lot of sense. Start out small without any GPS help and learn the controls. How long do you feel you’ll need to get used to the controls and feel confident upgrading to a bigger drone?

@Duggy
Yeah, I agree with that. The more information we have before we fly the better. I did a lot of research yesterday about where I can fly because the last thing you want is for something (anything at all) to go wrong during your first few flights where there is no experience to help you judge a situation.

@mhitchcock
I think you’re absolutely right about the Mini needing the ID with the prop guards on. It’s only 1g away from the category so I think even a fair amount of dust will put it over the limit. :joy:
For me the main reason will be the camera but until I have more time with it I won’t know if the camera on the Mini is going to be enough for now.

I’m new to this forum and have only been flying for a few months. I have a £150 Hubsan H501S-S which I bought from Amazon. For the price an amazing bit of kit and a perfect starter drone. I have learnt how to fly (up to a mile), got some half decent photos and videos, seen 19 mps on the built in screen on the standard controller (tail wind) and appears to performs better than many other more expensive drones that I have seen on YouTube. By drone standards it’s a very old design but it appears to have the latest firmware with the known issues sorted.
Now I have learnt the craft I feel an upgrade coming if only for a better camera with a gimbal. I am still reluctant to spend four figures for a drone so the Mavic Mini appeals.

1 Like

It’s been a blast! I got the care package thing so if I make a big mistake at least I can get another one for about 40 quid. In terms of learning to fly well I need to find a local open field I can play around in so I can just focus on handling and develop some muscle memory in the controls. I’ve been driving to some great places in the country but they’re too nice to not film so I ended up getting some basic shots but of lovely views! Having said that I’m enjoying the panning and revealing shots you can get with a drone and that’s been quite easy to achieve. It’s just mastering rotation whilst flying etc that I need to practice.

@Overthehill
I didn’t even know about the brand you mentioned but it sounds like a great starter drone. I will check them out!

@Subfrequenz
I always get the extra care on all my Apple products and all my DJI products too. I had the OSMO Mobile from them before getting the mini and the extra care package does give you peace of mind. It’s a matter of time before something goes wrong and the fact that they cover accidental damage is pretty amazing really!

Hi iEvangelos.

Time to get used to the controls: the more I fly the better I get :wink:

I have had the Tello a couple of weeks and it’s been a good learning curve. Prior to that I got a mini Potensic A20 toy one, so had some basics. The Tello is much more controllable and also got me doing some important routines like updating firmware and recalibrating the IMU. I can feel the difference between the performance in low light and bright light- the Tello self-stabilises much better in bright light where it can use optical sensors.

I have also trashed another prop-guard and discovered that Tello is effective at chewing plant leaves (and gets blown about by a desk fan) so I am going to try the bigger drone cage for it. I like the close-quarters flying as I can play about and see for myself the impact of ground effect and nearby objects. I can also set up in the bathroom and practice flying into a strong breeze (on windy days- I adjust the window opening to get the breeze level I want). I use the game-controller rather than controlling via the phone directly.

I’d be happy enough trying a bigger drone outside now, but I want to do more with Tello first as I can see my flying skills improve rapidly, I try to use the Tello or the mini Potensic at least once a day. (The mini Potensic A20 has the advantage that I can just pick it up and play).

Finding a beach I can play on here is easy, but not so easy to find a time it is quiet enough not to disturb people!

GC

I didn’t realize people still used MP3 players. I thought it was all mobile phones for music now😃