New member from Staffordshire with zero drone knowledge

Hi Will. Bought my first drone recently, so have a few mates. I pondered between the Mini & the Air, wanting to make the right choice. One thing I did not want was to buy a Mini, then either want, or wish I bought the Air, because I had a go with both. The Fly Me combo was a no brainer for me, as the extras would end up being bought anyway. So I decided on the Air. The Mini is a great drone, and the Air is worth the extra money. A mate recently bought a Air Combo that was a Xmas present, used only a few times, sat in the box since, he paid £600 for it.
I am looking forward to my first meet up with other Staffs folk, even if I only watch.
Also looking forward to not hitting anything, but all that takes is common sense, and just a little luck. All the drone crash videos I have watched, I either saw it coming, or thought how daft. Apart from the ones being attacked by birds, one took out by a bird of prey, looked like it got hit by a bleedin ASRAAM

2 Likes

I think my first meet will be very helpful, too. Watching, listening, asking (more) daft new user sorts of questions… Might see you there if it is in Staffordshire, as the other members above. :grin:
I’ve not got my Mini yet (I think it will be right for me, too) and there’s a great deal of ‘stuff’ I need to do before I ever try to operate one for the first time!

Yep if it’s your drone you need to register as the operator and flyer.
Display the operator ID number on your drone. The flyer I’d is your own personal number which they advise you should be able to produce if asked by the authorities.

When you are ready find a large open quiet space and just have a go. Keep the speed down though. :+1:

1 Like

I’ll take a few slow, deep breaths first… I gather there’s a ‘slower’ mode on the Mini used for video, I might try that. Hopefully, I will spend some time on You Tube too, to pick up some do’s and don’ts for the first attempts (whenever that will be!)
Thanks to all, keep any thoughts coming, I still have many gaps in my thinking on this subject! (or is it just gaps in my head??) :laughing:

All depends on where you were flying it ;o)

1 Like

Will wind is your big enemy With a mini a lot have been lost due to people taking them out in high winds it might seem not windy on the ground but it’s a different story 400ft the best app I have found is this

2 Likes

I’m sure you wouldn’t encourage people to fly in a location that they shouldn’t or don’t want to be identified in…that would be irresponsible.

Not at all. I encourage everyone to adhere to the drone code.

Currently regulation does not require the mini to be either registered or marked, and I do encourage people to adhere to this.

1 Like

Another App!, I’ll check it out, thanks.

:joy::joy::joy::joy: you will have a few by the time you finish

1 Like

:grimacing:

Hey @Steviegeek,

Newbie drone pilot here in Lichfield and new to the forum. Do let me know when/where you’re next meet is; would love to wander along for a chat and fly.

ATB Cookie

1 Like

Do you have a CAA link to that to share?

Current CAA regulations do not back up your claim (around the onboard camera)

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk

1 Like

Rule change was delayed until the end of the year so I’ve read

Hi Jon
I see you have an Inspire 1, nice bit of kit :+1:
We also meet at Hawkesbury, Exhall.

Would that be OK for your travelling?

Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

"Delay to EU unmanned aircraft systems Implementing Regulation

05 June 2020 - the European Commission delayed the applicability date of the European Union Unmanned Aircraft Systems Implementing Regulation 2019/947 (EU UAS IR 2019/947) until the 31 December 2020.
This decision supersedes the previous delay applied by the UK Government. Therefore, the Implementing Regulation will now become applicable within the UK on Thursday 31 December 2020.
CAP 1789 ‘The EU UAS Regulatory Package - Outline’ will be updated in the coming days to reflect the new applicability date of this regulation."
So no change to the rules until 2021 if it doesn’t get delayed again.

1 Like

Sounds good. :+1:

Quite correct, the OP made the incorrect statement that this applies at the moment

Yes that’s my understanding too. Any change would be reflected in the registration process and the info displayed on the CAA website. No change yet. :+1: