New pilot - Cardiff South Wales area

Morning all, just found your group and thought I would introduce myself. Qualified as a pilot with CAA 3 weeks ago.
Been flying a Mavic pro 2017 for about 3 weeks now in and around (current COVID restrictions) the Cardiff South Wales area.
Ambition to fly from Lavernock beach to Flatholm Island pending favourable safety and weather.

5 Likes

Hi @Gezzer

Unusual wrap, what is it? :thinking:

1 Like

Welcome to the group :clap:

1 Like

Hi all, it does look nice from the usual grey :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:it’s from DJI Mavic Pro Skins and Wraps | Custom Drone Skins | XtremeSkins

1 Like

Welcome to GADC Gerard

1 Like

Many thanks Alex And hi to everyone.

Welcome to GADC Gerard -I’m in the South Wales area too - a little further west in Gorseinon.
You’ve found what I consider to be the best drone forum on the net - I’m sure you’ll enjoy :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

You’re not wrong there

1 Like

Well, thank you Jhdee. I’m looking forward to checking the site regularly.

Welcome @Gezzer - I’m slightly less further west than @Jhdee in Bridgend and have been to and flown over / around Lavernock Point and Lavernock Battery … in fact the image is on here somewhere. We seem to be getting more and more South Walians on-board, so would be good to arrange a meetup post lockdown.

I like your ambition, but the only thing I’d caution about is the distance, as at best count it’s about 4km there and the same back. Fortunately the NFZ for Cardiff airport doesn’t impact this flight, but there is frequently a lot of helicopter traffic in the area especially I’ve found the Coastguard whom love to do lots of training flights up and down this coastline.

Anyway, welcome, and have fun.

1 Like

Hi Gerard and welcome to GADC.

2 Likes

Thanks it is great to hear there are a few other operators in the area. Looking forward to meeting up after the lockdown.
The best launch place for me would be Lavernock point beach at low tide. I’m aware it’s a class D site and do regularly see helos like police, coastguard up and down regular hugging coastline. I did do a trial flight out to a bouy, and received a " strong interference" warning on controller so aborted.

1 Like

Hello and welcome, also from Cardiff.

Thank you :blush:

It’s from Xtreme skins. Not sure of the name though. Lots of different ones on there and they fit really well.