New pilot: East Bristol. Looking for recommended practice spaces

Hi, I’m Richard.

My first drone should be arriving this week (DJI Mini 3 Pro).

I’m looking for somewhere for some initial practice flights, to get used to flying safely. Ideally a big open space, where I won’t annoy anyone, and preferably without a big audience that will make me self-conscious!

Local for me is Kingswood, east Bristol. I notice on Drone Scene that Westerleigh Common is the closest tagged place to me, and looks decent. But I wondered if anyone knew of good places a little closer? Somewhere accessible from the ring road on the east of Bristol would be perfect.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @RichardLoxley and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Tagging @group-southwest as someone local may be able to help you with a location to practice :+1:

1 Like

Hello @RichardLoxley welcome too GADC enjoy :+1:t2:

1 Like

Welcome to GADC :clap: :clap:

Whilst I know where you are, unfortunately I am not local enough to recommend a location apart from the beach at Brean - but that isn’t too close either.

Please join the @group-southwest and then we can let you know when any local gatherings take place.

1 Like

Hey Richard, welcome to GADC!

I used to live in Hanham (pre-drone). Used to go walking across the fields alongside the ring road, especially when it snowed. Could be a decent area for testing your skills?

2 Likes

Hi Richard and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

1 Like

waves hi from wales

1 Like

Hi Richard - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

hi Richard, welcome to GADC, bet your looking forward to that new mini 3 pro, not long had one of those myself ( upgraded from mini 2 ) great little drone, nice to fly. Still playing with mine to get used to it too. I’m just north Bristol, near Berkeley Castle, i fly round here mainly but have flown at Clevedon, Burnham, Avonmouth, Slimbridge etc. Also early mornings up near Suspension Bridge, it’s always quiet at 6am lol. Clifton Common quiet then too. But near you I’m not sure? is Shortwood Lodge golf club not shut, has land been developed or could you fly there? could be nice and open maybe?
Let me know how you get on
Barry

1 Like

Hi, welcome to GADC :smiley:

1 Like

Bristol council recognised park sites here:

I have flown at all 3 of them. ENjoy!

1 Like

Oh, good call! They all have designated drone flying areas specified in their byelaws, which definitely makes me feel more confident about flying there without worrying about being somewhere I “shouldn’t be”.

Dundridge Park isn’t too far away from me, so I’ll maybe try there first. The Downs is also a great place to visit so maybe I’ll make a trip over there sometime.

welcome, Im in Stokes Croft, Bristol. Don’t get the time to do what i’d like with regard to flying due to work but look at the city council website regarding drone bylaws. there’s 3 areas they list locally for flying. biggest area is the downs.
I’d suggest joining FPV UK as you get public liability insurance included.
if I can help with anything message me.

Bill

Thanks. Yes, I’ve already joined FPVUK :slight_smile:

1 Like

@RichardLoxley welcome

Dundridge Park in St George worked well for me today to try out the new drone.

A nice empty playing field, and it’s a designated drone flying spot in the council’s bye-laws.

It got a bit busy with dog walkers after about 3pm, so I kept my flights short to avoid annoying anyone.

I’d hoped to stay until sunset to get some nice shots, but then the clouds and the rain rolled in. Another day maybe!

4 Likes

I went up friday very windy above the tree line but flew down the middle of the trees, that’s about it. Good practice area I’m in Brislington so it’s here or over at Hengrove park

Hi @RichardLoxley and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!