NEW! Snap Song 2011 Competition - Now Closed

After a low-key try-out and some very useful input here is a new challenge for all creators out there!

Think back! The year is 2011

Introducing the Song Snap competition - read the rules, find a title and take your picture

Rules

Your task is to illustrate a song title of your choice from the randomly picked year with a still photograph taken during the time the competition is open. A drone shot is welcome but not essential, you may use any device that will produce a suitable image.

The song must be either a single, a single taken from an album or a track on an album. It must have been released in one of those forms in the year chosen.

The song need not be by the original artist, cover versions released in the chosen year are perfectly acceptable

Multiple entries are acceptable but each image must illustrate a different song title.

Each entry must show:

• The song title in any font, colour or size on the image itself.

Beneath the image should be:

• Release date

• Device used for image

• Location and date of image

• Any information that may be of interest

• A video or an MP3 of the song is highly desirable

The competition will run from Monday 22:30 to the Monday 2 weeks after, closing at 22:00. Pictures will be placed in a poll for viewers to judge. Voting will run from Monday 22:30 until the following Saturday at 22:00

Notes:

The years placed in the list for the random picker are 1953 to 2022 - why those?

Wikipedia has articles on “19xx in Music” and also"Hit Singles of 19xx. There are of course many other places to find singles and albums published in a specific year. The easiest source tends to be the chart toppers and music charts haven’t always been around …

The “Hit Parade” began in the 1930s; Billboard magazine in the USA published its first music hit parade on January 4, 1936. Record charts in the UK began in 1952, when Percy Dickins of the New Musical Express (NME) gathered a pool of 52 stores willing to report sales figures. For the first British chart Dickins telephoned approximately 20 shops, asking for a list of the 10 best-selling songs. These results were then aggregated into a Top 12 chart published in NME on 14 November 1952, with Al Martino’s “Here in My Heart” awarded the number-one position.

The most obvious sources of song titles by year are the many internet chart and release listings - have fun!

3 Likes

Just a thought.

As drone owners seem far too occupied with lofty things ( :slight_smile: ) or are busy posting in the forum, why not open up the entries to family as well. Younger members of the household may well have a better grasp of music from 2011 and may even have one of those newfangled cameras with built-in phone and computer thingies to take the snaps with.

1 Like

OK, due to popular demand … :slight_smile:

(Is he popular? Or just a troublemaker?)

The image can be created by yourself - i.e. the person registered on the GADC forum - or a member of their family 0 if they wish to join in the fun!

1 Like

I’d also bin off having the song title on the image. It’s unnecessary fiddley effort that I then have to undo afterwards on my phone album.

• Release date: May 17, 2011
  • Device used for image: iPhone 12 Pro
  • Location and date of image: Resorts world arena, Birmingham June 13th
  • Any information that may be of interest: actual performance of said song.
  • A video or an MP3 of the song is highly desirable
2 Likes

We are trying a new approach to managing our staff. So we thought that it would be easier for them to not have to retype each song title into the poll and then cross-check that they have it married to the right image. If each competitor titles their own image one area of potential error is removed. the choice of typeface, size, position and colour can be used to enhance their image and our workers get to return to their filthy hovels several minutes earlier than before.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense now it’s explained! :wink:

The Locomotion - Little Eva

• Album Release date: April 18th, 2011 (Now That’s What I Call a Wedding!)
  • Device used for image: Nikon D3300
  • Location and date of image: Holt Station, North Norfolk Railway - 19th June 2022
  • Any information that may be of interest: Yes, I have taken this 1960s from 2011’s number one compilation album for lazy wedding DJs: Now That’s What I Call a Wedding!

https://youtu.be/eKpVQm41f8Y

2 Likes

Is it bad that I recognised the train and the location before reading the text?

Folly Tearoom is a really nice place to get an afternoon tea in town if you’re prepared to put up with the walk there and back.

1 Like

Here’s a little throwaway entry that sums up my weekend…

• Song title: Someone Get Me Out of Here
  • Artist: Jackson Taylor & The Sinners
  • Release Date: 1st February 2011
  • Device used for image: iPhone X
  • Location and date of image: My local Tesco, 18/06/2022@13:19
  • Information: Boiling hot, absolutely chocka… and the tills went down.
  • Link to the song:
2 Likes

I knew Ayr beach wouldn’t let me down… :wink:

• Song title: Hangover
  • Artist: Taio Cruz (ft. Flo Rida)
  • Release Date: 07 October 2011 (Worldwide Digital Download)
  • Device used for image: iPhone X
  • Location and date of image: Ayr Beach, 23/06/2022@19:32
  • Information: “The Buckie made me do it!”
  • Link to the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLhFDYQHDQY

1 Like

Well, this seems to have appealed to very few - to whom thanks for entering and producing some interesting images - but we think this idea should be given a decent burial.

So - the four of our contestants are jointly first place winners and to those who didn’t join in - let’s have your suggestions for fun things to do that involve drones and/or photography …

Aww, that’s a shame. Seemed like a grand idea to me (but then, I am a bit odd). T’was fun whilst it lasted, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

WOT! No badge! :laughing: