New tablet draining the remote?

Advice needed here chaps. I have just received my Huawei 10.1 inch tablet and took it for its maiden voyage. After 45 minutes my remote was showing its power was down to 29% as I landed the quad. Now, I admit it was not at 100% when I did the test BUT my previous iPad mini 4 remained at high charge even after 3 batteries worth of flying, as did the remote. I am wondering if the tablet was taking power from the remote ? I have noticed that on start up, the newly installed DJI Go 4 app does take me through some previously unseen screens asking how I want to use the cable which seems strange to me - the cable is the one supplied with the tablet.
All very strange, thus my search for comments from some experienced flyers here.

I believe that the tablet is charging from your controller as you’re flying.

Dirty dirty android

1 Like

It might be dirty but its BIG, big i tell ya - like Benny Hill I likes BIG :blush:

I shall test further with everything at 100% charge and see what happens.
Im buggered if I’m going to buy a bloody big apple iPad at that outrageous price lol
If it proves to be the case Chris, I shall attach a power bank to the remote !! That should keep the balance - now do you know of a geneticist who can get me a third arm ? :upside_down_face:

As Chris said its likely its charging the tablet, I’m pretty sure there is an option somewhere in the setting to stop this but without going through them I couldn’t tell you where exactly, none the less a quick YouTube search will tell you exactly where to locate the setting and turn it off

5 Likes

I think it’s an iOS option only to switch off charging (I’m sure I read it somewhere)

As I said, dirty dirty android

4 Likes

Sadly Chris is correct - with android the only way to stop it is to attach a power bank - Spent half an hour on Google & Youtube and all agree. Velcro bobbie then onto the back of the tablet - sorted.
Thank you chaps for your assistance in clearing that up. :+1:
“Dirty android” indeed - pffft

4 Likes

Android devices are notorious for this behaviour. I use both a Huawei M5Lite 8 tablet and a Huawei P30Lite phone. When ever I plug the phone into a drone controller a window pops up asking me if I want to charge the phone or transfer data, selecting the latter disables the power. However this does not appear when using the tablet. I suspect it’s to do with the more advanced features available on USB-C (Phone) compared to the features of Micro-USB (Tablet).

Nidge.

2 Likes

only the ipad gives you the option to charge your device or not. the android version does not allow you to turn the charging off

1 Like

Im getting a similar pop-up on my tablet, not sure at all what the implications of the options are to be honest. I will have to test them out in the paddock at the back of me with the quad 10 feet up only. Its like I’m in some sort of beginner mode, the bloody app leads me thru 5 steps before it connects to the “Go Fly” option - very frustrating but at least it gives me something to think about - my brain cells are getting mushy lol
The wife is delighted tho, she said " Husband, this ploblem for you is very good for me - now I have more tablets to watch Thai movies on - you will get big iPad soon ?" - bloody cheek. lol

1 Like

Got to admit that I sometimes think I’m well out of these issues, having the built in 7" screen on my ST16 controller and if i’m honest, it’s also the reason I’m reluctant to go down the DJI route.

2 Likes

It’s the reason why I like the ST10+’s with my Blade Chroma’s and Yuneec Q500’s. Also with the gimbals being full size I feel I have better resolution than with the PS/Xbox style controllers that are supplied with drones these days.

Nidge.

1 Like