New to drones first flight advice

As a new flyer of only a few weeks , I read your training exercises and thought tonight would be a great opportunity to practice. After 5 hrs flying my confidence is increasing all the time , but as they say practice , practice , practice.
Nice big open field and 10m height, squares were no issues or slow circles but the figure of 8 using myself as the centre spot take some mastering. After 45 mins flight using 3 batteries not discharged I’ve learnt so much.
I made a point to look at the drone as opposed to the controller and the feel for "cornering " or panning slow was a joy to watch after a few stop starts.
so In summary, top tips, thank you for your excellent explanations.
Mini 2 and me are very grateful.

8 Likes

Yes registered and I have done my test. Just waiting for the wind to drop and I’ll be on it :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, Alex.

I see from your Avatar you do a lot of motorbike touring, and I’m sure you’d offer up similar advice to someone starting out with bikes. My tips are formulated from the advice of others, and I’m not too proud to say a lot of my own mistakes when starting out.

I think I speak for all on here, we look forward to seeing the results and the footage from your bike adventures.

8 Likes

So not flown before and just a little nervous as to where to start and what to avoid. I live in Havant just outside Portsmouth but just feel it’s a bit of a minefield at the moment don’t want to upset anyone.

2 Likes

My advice would be to find a wide open space within no one around so that you can master the controls. Practice simple things - up down, for ward back and then try to manually go in a square. Don’t go to high to soon - if it’s gusty! Follow the drone code - loads of topic on this forum about that. Have fun!

2 Likes

Welcome mate. Have a look at the members map and see if there are pilots near you to meet up.

Don’t worry about that too much. Your not on this planet just to please people :+1:

1 Like

@Royston we have moved your post to an existing thread which contains some excellent advice, have a scroll upwards.

Also, another useful thread: Newbie's first flight

2 Likes

Hi, I’m pretty new to this, coming up to 3 weeks since buying my first drone. First flight was in a local recreation field, empty apart from 1 dog walker. Just to practice up/down yawl and just general flying.
I now tend to go out early, sunrise can be a good time as the light is more interesting and there’s less people around.
I also visited a park at 6am and it was full of joggers and cyclists but nobody was remotely untested in me.
Stick to the rules and enjoy your drone.

2 Likes

I’m reasonably local to you, Kingsbury Water park or Shustoke reservoir would be good places to start. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, nick2491. Have you used Kingsbury water park or shustoke to fly? Thought Shustoke was in a NFZ. Any advice would be welcome.

Shustoke is only in Class D airspace … which doesn’t restrict drone flying beneath 400ft.

Check the location on our Drone Scene :

3 Likes

As said below, it’s not forbidden. I keep it under 200 ft there just to be on the safe side though. If an Airbus comes through there at less than 200 ft, my drone is the least of their problems !!!

If you look at Kingsbury church on Google maps and look at the photos, there’s 3 or 4 aerial shots of the church on there. They’re mine, and from memory they were about 150 feet AGL. They’re a bit drab, the light wasn’t too good, but go higher and your pictures get smaller no matter how good the light is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I live about a mile ( as the crow flies) from the airport, and the airbus comes over my house. A spectacular site.
Hard to judge height, but can’t be much higher than 200ft.
So do take your point at Shustoke reservoir.24

1 Like

Take your time, make sure everything is calibrated and home point set.

Ensure you have plenty satellites locked and space to fly without trees or obstructions.

If unsure of new drone try beginner mode for a few flights first to help you get used to the new drone.

I didnt do this and it cost me a new motor and repairs costing quite a bit + loss of drone for a month.

1 Like