New to drones in York

Good afternoon all, hope your all well! Another newbie to droning!
After having a play on a toy have splashed put & invested in a DJI Mavic Mini.

Stumbled across this club by accident and subscribed after spending all afternoon enjoying reading your informative experiences & pictures.

So far only played around at home and need to take the plunge & get out there and fly in the real world!
Anyone local to York who can advise a “safe” place to get out & have a go?

Apologies if i’ve missed this in the Q&A’s but just wondering what people’s view is on the new licensing… I know I don’t need to register as the Mini is 249g, but are there any advantages?

Cheers in advance.

5 Likes

Welcome to the club, fair few mini owners in here so your in good hands! :ok_hand:

1 Like

thanks @McSteamy2010 :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi Nigel / @Nige_T, and welcome to GADC. :+1: Some successful “stumbling” there! :laughing:

An ever increasing number of our members also own the Mavic Mini … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Thanks @OzoneVibe, still getting used to using the forum, but think I’ve plotted rough “where I live” ok.
Will check out the map of members & the information from drone scene.
Loads of info to digest :exploding_head: but all useful stuff.

1 Like

Hello there

I work in York and live out between Selby and Goole.

There are quite a few of us in this neck of the woods, have a check of my you tube channel, might give you a few ideas of where to fly, always up for meets if you want.

www.youtube.com/milkmanchris

Thanks @milkmanchris will have a look.
Yeah you’re not too far away from me then, you’ll pass me on your way to work!
Maybe a catchup once ive got out there & had a go!

1 Like

Most deffo, I work at that great seat of education just behind you ;o)

1 Like

Hi @Nige_T welcome!

Great page with lots of knowledgeable people who can help you out with anything.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the friendliest club, a font of all knowledge. Can I suggest a trip up to Fimber and Wharram Percy deserted medieval village. It’s not far from York, there’s a small car park and a short walk down to the site. There’s also some derelict buildings along the old railway track bed, from when the limestone and chalk mining was in full swing.

1 Like

Hi Brian, thanks for the suggestion, I’ll try to get up there & give it a go next week.

I know the instiution you’re referring to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Nige welcome to the club from not far away, close to Pocklington in fact. I’m fairly new to it too, but plumped for a Mavic Pro Platinum. As with @milkmanchris would be up for a meet up too. If you need a safe place to practice I’ve got a few acres, give me a shout!

2 Likes

cheers @rib7, thanks for the offer, may take you up on it, Pock’s not far away.

1 Like

You’re very welcome just give me a shout, I’m not there next week but anytime after that!!

1 Like

Hi Brian, thanks for the suggestion, went up there at the weekend.
Was a bit on the windy side, surprised how many walkers there were, but what a great location.
Managed to have a play around St Martins church and get a bit of footage.
Will take a return visit when weather a bit more favourable.

Nige

@milkmanchris @rib71
Hi both managed to get out to Wharram Percy at weekend and had a brief (but windy!) session on Knavesmire yesterday.
So still getting to grips / building confidence with my mini.

Weather looks like could be a bit better next week.
Just wondering if either free during the week for a meet-up?

Tuesday next week might be doable ?

@milkmanchris @rib71

Yeah looked at same on my phone.
I could do PM on Tuesday or anytime Wednesday if it suits either?

Damn and blast having to work office hours!!! :pensive: