New to Grey Arrows and Drones From South Wales

Hello all

I am new to drones and Grey Arrows and looking for places to fly my Parrot Bebop 2 drone for fun only in South Wales.

I also have a sub 250g FPV Racing / Freestyle Drone that has only around 1hr of flight time (hovering and short distance flights) that needs a good stretch.

Any suggestions appreciated (live in close proximity to Cardiff Airport, so expect to travel to fly)

2 Likes

Welcome. Best place to check where to fly and the restrictions would be the forum’s own dronescene.co.uk

1 Like

Hi @Smurph8875 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK

Find places to fly your Drone (UAV) in the UK and share your favourite flying locations with other hobbyists pilots.

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Welcome to GADC Peter - I’m in Gorseinon just down the road from you.
Ogmore is a reasonable place to fly and being Crown Estate on the shoreline - its also completely legal.
I generally fly at Burry Port - certain parts of the beach there are Crown Estate too. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks All,

I’ve been looking at the map of locations to go to (very helpful thank you) and we went to one location on Saturday in the hope to get a flight in - unfortunately the weather decided to make it impossible,

@Jhdee which side of the river do you fly from at Ogmore? We quite often walk around the sand dunes there (and do some Geocaching around the area).

Thanks again and really excited to be here and looking forward to learning more from you all.

The Crown Estate area is the Porthcawl side of Ogmore river :+1:

Hi and Welcome…enjoy

Hi @Jhdee - Good call on Ogmore, went to the Sand Dunes this morning (parked at Merthyr Mawr Car Park) and found a nice secluded area to give the Bebop 2 it’s first flight with me - managed to get around 22mins before the rain started and need to work out a few things to get the best from it, but will definitely be back for another shot there - also had the 10yr old flying my racing drone round there too, was a really nice visit :slightly_smiling_face:

@Smurph8875 - glad you enjoyed it Peter - I think it makes a good spot to fly and fully legal too :laughing: - sorry can’t help with the Welsh weather though :joy: