New Total beginner from Norfolk

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: experts on here? lol
But really, some real clever guys here. Ask anything you want. Roll on the meet ups!

3 Likes

Well I have both, yet the Mini has yet to have itā€™s first flight !.
I know, I have had some ear bashing on here that I bought it in November on the day of itā€™s release, and have yet to get it airborne !.
You will find flying a DJI drone totally different to your Viper, it will stay where you put it in the air, and is/will be a lot easier to fly. especially as they have incredible sensors on them, to help prevent crashes.

1 Like

Thank you Brian for you kind comments !.
The last time i was called an Asset, some basted shoved a brown envelope in my hand !.

1 Like

Welcome Scott

1 Like

Welcome! Are you a canoeist too by any chanceā€¦? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait till you meet some of us, all kids parading in (mainly) nearly pensioners bodyā€™s

3 Likes

thankyou, no but i did own a boat on the broads but sold that in December last year lol

Itā€™s always interesting to see what can be done with a professional grade drone and there are alot of fine examples on here and the members Youtube Channels.
Take a look at the Videos by Drone - Grey Arrows Drone Club UK section of the Forum.
A lot of the members on here have posted many incredible videos of their exploits and travels.
Here is my channel and it features many places around Norfolk that I have flown my drone, feel free to comment as you see fit.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ASTROSTARDJ/videos?view_as=subscriber

1 Like

Chris. Subbed. Is that a capri?

1 Like

I knew it!

At the moment i am keeping an eye on my local argos!!! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

It is indeed Karl, it was my second Car, back in 1973.
It was, in itā€™s day ā€œThe Boy Racer Carā€.
I done a significant amount of modifications to it when I owned it.

1 Like

Did you ever doubt I would !,
Got to spend my money on something these days!.

Where would I buy a car like that these days for Ā£425, 1 owner, 20,000 miles on the clock!.

1 Like

wow there are some fantastic videos , lots for me to watch

1 Like

Hi there I am going to have a dji Spark up for sale itā€™s the combo version 4 batteries with loads of extras.

Practically new selling it because getting the new dji mavic air 2. Also own the mavic pro platinum and recently got the mavic mini. Live in Portsmouth. Hoping to get Ā£550 which is a good price for all the extras I have.

Welcome to the gang regards Irvine

hi, thank you, it is a lovely friendly group and im already learning a lot plus some cracking videos to watch. Im going to stick with the drone i have for now until i learn how to fly it properly before i look for the next one as i really want to find the best in budget to fit my needs if that makes sense.

1 Like

Hi Scott,
Very wise decision to stick with what youā€™ve got for now.
The first drone I bought was a Hubsan 501s.
Cost me about Ā£175. Not cheap, but nowhere near as expensive as a DJI drone.
I lost my brand new drone about five minutes into itā€™s maiden flight! Took it up in the air and it started to drift quite quickly away from me. I panicked and landed it in a field about 50m away when I really should have flicked the RTH switch!!
Spent hours with the wife looking for it before we gave up as it started getting dark.
Went home and ordered another one straight away as I really wanted to learn how to fly one.
I learned from my first flying experience and havenā€™t had any mishaps since.
After gaining flying experience I sold the Hubsan and bought a Mavic Air. The difference was amazing! You get a rock steady responsive flight and fantastic camera and video footage with a gimbal instead of a fixed lens.
The only problem I found with the Mavic Air was the noise from the props! I tried using the Master Airscrew 3rd party props but they made little difference in my opinion.
I sold my Mavic Air after about a year or so and now have the Mavic 2 Zoomā€¦ Itā€™s an absolute beast :grin::+1:t2:Bigger, better specs and surprisingly a lot quieter than the Mavic Air!
Bought it at the back end of last summer and havenā€™t flown it anywhere near as much as I would have liked to as we moved house from living right by the sea to a more built up area.
We were due to go on a boating holiday in July on the Norfolk Broads, but sadly thatā€™s on hold till next year now. Would have been nice to have got some footage with my latest drone!
Good luck with your new hobby. Iā€™m sure you will be soon upgrading to a DJI drone when the flying bug really kicks in :rofl::rofl::grin::+1:t2:
All the best mate.
Take care and stay safe

2 Likes

Hi, Thank you it is lovely here on this site and im really enjoying it, There is so much to think about with getting another drone as there is good choices out there and i am really looking and very tempted especially now as ive just been put on the furlough thing from work plus passing my test and getting operator ID but need to see how my pay is effected first.
We live very near the Norfolk broads and indeed had a boat on there until December last year year and it was lovely but if you think drones are expensive try owning a boat but had a few years fun lol.
all the best and stay safe

1 Like

Hi Scott,
Like most hobbies, once you get into them you want to upgrade what you started with.
Really boils down to what you can comfortably afford.
The Mavic Mini is about Ā£350, Mavic Air Ā£750, Mavic 2 Zoom Ā£1100, Mavic Pro 2 Ā£1300
If I knew what I knew now I would have gone straight in for the Zoom or the Pro 2
If they are in your price range I would say go for it, you wonā€™t be disappointed :grin::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Welcome along. Iā€™m another Norwich based one.

If youā€™re considering a Mavic Air Iā€™ve got one youā€™re welcome to try before it goes to make way for the Mavic Air 2. Which I definitely havenā€™t ordered (in case Mrs UT is reading this)ā€¦

Just drop me a PM.

I recommend Earlham park to learn to fly in/practice. Lots of different things to try filming there. I love it down by the stream.

2 Likes