New type of fire extinguisher

My mistake. The words ‘counter intuitive‘ comes to mind

Bit like Vortex Ring when flying a Copter it wants to go down and the worst thing you can do is try to pull the Craft up from the ground

I’m case you haven’t…

https://youtu.be/g0NEqa-D0ik

Hi Tony just like to say Thanks for keeping me ‘on my toes’ so to speak

Of interest if C02 doesn’t I’m not sure what will?

“A CO2 extinguisher has a wide nozzle that locks into place. Do not hold onto the nozzle when firing the extinguisher , this nozzle will get very cold as the CO2 gas is expelled; CO2 gas has a temperature of minus 66C.“

Danger of CO2 is an asphyxiant when used in confined spaces. It will choke you if not used with caution (It will also startle you at first as it comes out with a pretty feisty rate of knots and loud too)

When a lipo has a thermal runaway not a lot will stop it until it has expended up all the energy it stores.

Once its started it can no longer hold onto the stored energy and its released as heat.

If it ruptures and vents out the hot gasses it’s usually pretty quick.

CO2 extinguishers work by starving a fire of oxygen and would put out any external flames but will do nothing for the chemical reaction happening inside the battery creating the heat without oxygen.

Bucket of water or sand would be ideal.

1 Like

Thanks Callum for that insightful info can you tell me instead of Sand would earth work as a next best option I was wondering as many of the GADC members know doubt fly from fields

1 Like

In what scenario mate?

Drone crashes and bursts into flames or one of the batteries catch fire outside the drone?

If it’s just the battery its dead anyway so personally I’d just let it burn. Dirt or soil would smother any flames until the heat dissipates.

If it’s in the drone I’d be wanting to get it out before I did anything but not if it was venting. You dont want your hands anywhere near the hot gasses.

Battery fires are extremely rare. It’s usually due to overcharging or puncture.

DJI stuff is encased pretty well in plastic and would be difficult to puncture in a crash like a standard lipo and the chargers are of decent quality they are unliky to ever be an issue.

Battery fire is not something I worry about personally.

My ecig has a 2s lipo and that’s in my pocket pretty much all day.

Thanks I think you covered most outdoor scenarios there

I personally would do the same if outside Stand well back and enjoy the firework display I wouldn’t be risking Burn, Hydrogen inhalation, Etc even if it was within my beloved UAV-MA

However it’s good to have an action plan before it happens! It can be quite dramatic and un-nerving

I would like to add I do have a dry power extinguisher in the car so that’s quite useful to know it’s what DJI recommend for my Mavis Air Battery

Most lithium battery failures are caused by a faulty battery or by insufficient battery management.
The cell of the batteries could be ruptured if there is a heavy impact. I wouldn’t use sand or earth, that may suffocate the fire but if you use too much then you will just retain the heat within the cell/battery.
If you do have a battery failure/fire don’t pack it up until you are 100% sure that the battery has cooled down.
I recently investigated an e-cig battery that failed in a passenger’s baggage. Luckily it was before the bags where loaded in to the helicopter hold.

1 Like

Yikes that’s too close ‘to home’ for comfort Do you recall the Cheap Chinese hover board Fiasco ?

@AG-Cranes, Alan re your earlier reply about this extinguisher meeting the current BS EN, I have to disagree, this extinguisher doesn’t currently meet any standards. There’s no information on either website for Argos Fire Protection Ltd or the manufacturer, Firexo. Indeed, the YT video doesn’t mention any standards. They may be in talks with several Fire and Rescue Services (FRS) but I’m pretty confident that the FRSs ask to see the certification.

I’m not denying that it looks very impressive and I’m hoping that it’s only a matter of time before it’s on the market. However, if your insurance insists that you have a fire extinguisher with you during work, then I’d suggest that they’d expect (assume) that the extinguisher meets the current standards and is of the correct fire rating for the risk…

4 Likes

It is on the market right now - I bought several from Amazon this week.

Quote from their website:
“Firexo complies to European EN3 fire testing standards where available.”

2 Likes

Would you do us all a favour and request them

@Joe, thanks for that, I’ll take a look :+1: Unusual that there’s no mention, that I could see, on the websites.

@iGo-droning, I might call them next week to request more information.

I have to say I don’t trust any company to be ‘at the word’ on this type of statement until I see it on writing and even then if it’s important enough for me I will approach the relevant Gov’ning body to check it’s not just some false ‘Tosh’

Guys I am not an expert on this and nothing to do with the company but it is clear on their website:

https://firexo.com/component/content/article/29-faqs/22-what-standards-does-firexo-comply-with?Itemid=101

The Managing Director of the company is also on the board of the FIA:

As I said in the post above, I have been watching this company for some time as my best friend was one of the original founders and seed capital suppliers to it. There is plenty of information and video out there to backup their claims and products. Just Google it.

2 Likes

I’ve been back on the Firexo website and found the test videos and they look impressive and will look into the test facility.

Nikki Stewart isn’t on the Board but is on the Extinguishing Council but I’m splitting hairs here. Her credentials aren’t being questioned here, and I, like others, are simply looking for more clarity and information. It could be that the company is only a year old and products can take a long time to get a decent foothold in an otherwise well established market.

The burning fuel test was pretty rubbish to be fair

1 Like