New underwear required

Good memory

https://greyarro.ws/t/flyicarus-com-whats-occuring/10098/74

3 Likes

That’s bad. But insurance companies are always going to look at all the possibilities to cancel the claim before paying out.

2 Likes

Top tip! Put it in sport mode, then you can race back faster before the battery runs out!

:rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s one of the things I though about. Go down in style… :joy::joy::joy:

Still, sports mode battery vs normal mode battery usage. Is it better to be in sports mode or does it desplegará the battery much faster.

Also, if battery is very low, and you’re going agains the wind, is it better to lower the altitude to avoid the wind or keep flying high? So that when the drone forces you to land you have a few more meters that would cover as it lowers the altitude.

1 Like

I think there’s less wind lower down, but I like the height factor in case it starts coming down quick!

1 Like

@ianinlondon has some fantastic videos covering all this check out his channel Here.

1 Like

Most of your power is being used to keep it in the air, not to create speed, so you cover the same ground distance with far less battery when battling the wind.

Look at the extreme case - if the wind equals your non-sport mode - you will be there for ever … until the battery dies … even if you are only 10m away.

In sport mode, however, you make headway.

3 Likes

It won’t glide! :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks. Might use it more often.

Lucky this time. next time dont wait till battery goes lower than 20%. mine is set 30% i ususally fly far but never had any issues wth sport mode. one time i went to shoot a light house in a little island 4 miles away from me. i did it!

2 Likes

Dangerous advice … on its own. It depends on how far away the drone is and the strength on the wind.

As above, if it’s windy enough 100% may not be enough. :wink:

1 Like

Although it would increase the distance, if you plan to return with at least 50% battery, then you can also try flying a zig zag course back into wind. The same manoeuvre sailing boats use to make headway against the wind. I’ve used this method with thermal gliders when I’ve inadvertently flown too far down wind.
Planning of course goes a long way to avoid situations like this. Use several weather/ wind apps to get a reasonable picture. All part of the fun.

1 Like

Sailing boats “tack” into wind because they have no speed without a cross-wind component for their sails to function. They have no choice.

2 Likes

True. I was just using it as an example as of course the sail is the engine(most people have watched sailing boats) and the tacking method can work with quads. Appologies for any confusion caused.

1 Like

you can keep the altitude up if you keep the stick up (or at least minimise its drop) …mine was dropping below the cliff top but I got it up above it by keeping the left stick pushed forward … Also Sports mode uses the battery quicker of course but wind speed is your achilles heel - been there and done it and also got away with it…

Sorry but this is really, really bad advice. Suppose you’re trying to walk the wrong way on a fairly wide travelator and your walkng speed is 1mph faster than the speed at which the travelator is moving in the opposite direction. You would make slow progress but progress nonetheless, if you start walking in a zig zag line then you would be going backwards instead.

1 Like

By zig zaging you are not flying directly into the wind, so your speed is faster, over ground. The distance covered is greater, obviously. It’s how I get my non powered thermal soaring gliders back upwind when they can’t fly against it. I can see your point though, on the travelator. We are talking about moving air though. I do the same in my Sea Kayak when batteling gale force winds. I never hit them head on. I could be wrong about it working with a quad though as I’m fairly new to them.

I’ll try my theory the next time we have very strong winds, I’m curious now. :slightly_smiling_face:
I’d also like to try the flying backwards as well.